DropBox versus MS SkyDrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lugesm, Jun 29, 2013.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I have been using both. Pretty similar, but I have not attempted to run any kind of comparative tests. One notable difference is that DropBox provides 2GB of free space while SkyDrive provides 7GB.

Would like to read about anyone else's experience with these two. Any serious problems with either? Reliability?
    I would think that SkyDrive is more likely to survive in the long run. Opinions ?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Used Dropbox with no problems until I got a Windows Phone, only to find it didn't have a Dropbox App available. So I migrated to SkyDrive to find it pleasantly faster and with much more free space.

Haven't looked back as of yet.

3. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I've use them all, but Google Drive is currently my favorite. Comes with 15GB of free storage and I love the seamless integration with Google Docs (even though it's not a complete MS Office replacement). I bet SkyDrive has similar integration with Office365, but I don't know for sure.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I used to use SkyDrive for work stuff. I had the older 25GB account. It one day vanished. Back and forth with Microsoft support, they lost all trace of my email and account.

I use a 50GB box.net account now.

I use DropBox for my personal stuff. ~22GB after promotions and invites.

I think DropBox is more likely to survive. It has mass popularity, it's more the household name. If they ran into dire straights, someone will buy them out for the recognition and keep it going.

Microsoft on the other hand, has a long history of just dumping projects if they aren't going as planned.

5. lugesm, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Good points, especially the latter about MS dropping projects.
    The one reason I think MS will not casually drop the project without substantial early warning: a lot of customers would be outraged to learn that their 'securely' stored data is going away.

Still . . . . I think I like SkyDrive for a couple of reasons:
    1. Much more free space.
    2. Can't properly articulate this one, but SkyDrive just seems easier to use.

6. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

Same thing happened to me. Longtime MSN and Hotmail accounts. 25gb down to 7gb. Apart from that, Skydrive has been flawless for storing and downloading documents, photos, powerpoint, and small videos.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

At least there are choices. Dropbox has never failed me and I've come to depend on it. I don't trust Microsoft with SkyDrive. I don't think MS knows what their final plans are for it and that would worry me if I relied on it. You have a much, much better idea of what Dropbox will be in a few years than you do SkyDrive.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have about the same amount of space available in both Dropbox and SkyDrive, but I use Dropbox much more. I find it far more versatile, and far more apps have seamless integration with it, on both OS X and iOS.