Dropbox versus Sugarsync: Any update on better use, one over the other?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nutsnbolts, Nov 9, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

There are tons of Sugarsync versus Dropbox out there but after reading and researching. I'm stuck on deciding which to keep.

Right now, I have a Sugarsync Paid Account (on all my PC's, iPhone) and LiveMesh (all PC's, no iPhone app) and just downloaded DropBox (all my PC's and iPhone)

I want to basically select one and be done with it. I don't care if I have to pay a little extra for more space but I want to choose one that really will be the best of the 3.

I already ruled out LiveMesh. No iPhone app, although, there is a webapp, ehh, nothing to brag about. It's Free and at the time I started using it, Sugarsync wasn't full steam ahead and Dropbox was not completely around, perhaps they were but never heard of it.

Later on, I wanted more capabilities, more integration between different systems and I bought a Sugarsync account. Works great, great UI, but seems more complicated to use. Same concept but the whole Folder Management utility just confused the crap out of me. Either way, no big deal, just have to find time to "learn" it.

I recently purchased a MAC and all and behold, Dropbox seems to be the #1 pick for simplicity and integration and cheap enough I guess or comparable to Sugarsync.

The question is...

Between SugarSync and Dropbox, both have come a long way which most of the reviews out there still depict, What was stated in the reviews versus what is currently available, Sugarsync and Dropbox seems to be pretty much comparable with obviously a more subjective UI from individuals.

Put that aside UI, pound for pound, anyone want to take a crack at why you would go with DropBox over Sugarsync (vice versa)? Or is this going to be one of those head-to-head comparison that really is head to head in terms of functionlities.

I plan to sync between Mac/PC environments with accessibility on the iPhone but I can't see a clear difference (obviously, other than UI) in the functionalities between the two.

Of course, if anyone will point it out, DropBox is dead simple versus Sugarsyncs more complicated process.

I'm looking for more subjective thinking from anyone who uses one over the other and their justification why they use it from a practicality point of view.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well it looks like you have a finer granulation in choosing the right package that fits you better in SugarSync. I don't see any linux support where as Dropbox supports that platform very well.

Based on the website they seem to have a few more features but nothing major that seems to stand out. It seems to all boil down to personal preference. I'm happy with dropbox so I have no desire to switch over, especially because SugarSync doesn't offer any linux client.

3. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Ironically, after reading this again, I came across a couple more revelations.

I should rule out Linux capabalities with Dropbox because really, I don't use Linux.

So if you put both apps on the same level with UI and Linux capabilities, really the two will do the same exact thing. Unless someone here opposes this theory/statement?

You're right it seems to be more of a personal preference at this point. Unless of course you require Linux support then DropBox it is for you.

I'm trying to find a more Black and White answer as my deciding factor. If I use Linux it would be done and over with...;P

I'll throw this out there...there are even reviews that I read that compared memory usage. Something like ~20 Dropbox to ~35 Sugarsync load. Very small but Sugarsync is so pretty looking! lol

Anyway, anyone else can provide another black and white comparison?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like with most software choices and decisions there probably won't be a black and white factor make the decision easier. As noted for me there was one, linux support, I'm in linux more then OSX so needing something to sync across platforms is a must.

I'm happy with dropbox, and you seem happy with sugarsync, so stay with what you're happy with. If dropbox adds more features later, you can always reconsider them.

5. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that is where the problem comes when it comes to technology.

Converting from PC to Mac hasn't been the most easiest things in the world. Granted, I wish I was a simple user but when considering myself a power user, I try to not spread myself out too thin. In other words, I try to choose the best of the best, the best bang for the buck, the black and white (although I know it's usually gray), but to stick with this topic, I want to use one software.

More Features usually doesn't mean the best but DropBox is everywhere. I figured I'd see if anyone here has other opinions.

Right now, based on my googling, there are tons about rave reviews for DropBox. Not so much for Sugarsync other than comparing it to Dropbox. It seems like the simplicity of DropBox really got the attention of a lot of people. Although Sugarsync does a great job, the complexity of it turns people off.

Any other Sugarsync users out there?