Dropbox vs. Live Mesh vs. SugarSync

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Goldfire, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Goldfire macrumors member

Goldfire

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best file synchronization method to use (price isn't that big of a deal, so the varied upgrade pricing isn't a factor) to sync most all of my files for work, school, etc between a Macbook Pro and iMac. I am looking for something that is very simple and that I don't have to be dragging and dropping files all of the time because I'll always forget to do that.

I've been looking at the following three:

Dropbox (I actually used this before, but it was back in beta over a year ago, but from what I can tell, you just have one folder and I would have to put files in it whenever I make changes in order to sync to my other computer)

Live Mesh (I haven't had a chance to try this out, but from what I understand I can just assign folders that will automatically sync to my other computer? If this is actually the case and it works well with Mac then that would be amazing, not sure if it actually works like I am imagining)

SugarSync (I'm not sure how this differs, but I've heard a lot of good things about this one)

If you have had experience with any of these I would love to hear any opinion about which would be best, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm content with dropbox. It has a windows/mac/linux client so it services my needs. If I'm satisfied with a product/service I generally don't look at other competing products.

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

4. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

5. roadbloc, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

dropbox is the best out the lot. trust me.

HELLO FUTURE ME!

6. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

Each of the services offers something different, and which one is better really depends on what you wnat it for.
    * Dropbox - As you mentioned, it syncs a specific created folder and al files inside it automatically. The advantage to this is that its super simple.

The disadvantage is that you either have to copy files into it to sync or store your files inside that folder, loosing your existing organisational structure.

* Sugarsync - It offers you the ability to either sync a seprate folder or any of your existing ones. Its a lot more flexiable, but at the same time quiet a bit more complex to setup, unlike dropbox which juts takes a couple of clicks.

Another Disadvantage is that the free version only allows Sync between two computers, unlike dropbox, which as far as I've seen does not limit it.

* Livemersh - In theory, it offers an ever better option, with unlimited sync between multiple PC's, with upto 5GB being stored in the cloud. Anything over 5GB is still synced when both machines are online, but is not stored in the cloud for remote access.

However the Mac Client is still an early Beta, so is limited. The main limitation I ran into was the 5GB limit, and as there is no Paid option to increase that , its a hard limit.

As such each has their Pro's and Con's. And there is nothing which stops you from using more then one at the same time.

I currently use all three, though for different uses and its worked out quiet well.

7. Kate. macrumors regular

If you're worried about your folder structure while using Dropbox i.e. being forced to put everything you want to sync in the Dropbox folder, you can use aliases that point to the Dropbox.

For instance, I have a folder of documents in my Dropbox folder containing all my student loan information. In my Documents folder, I placed an alias to that folder so it can be accessed from both the Dropbox and the Documents folder where I would normally keep it.

For some, this might seem like overkill but if you're one of those people who's careful about where everything is filed, it at least gives you the structure you're used to.

8. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Thanks, this is helpful! I'm trying out Live Mesh right now and it seems to work quite well even though it is still the beta client. I'm going to try out Sugar Sync next. One thing I was wondering (not sure if you know this) was if Time Machine could still backup the contents of folders that are used with Live Mesh or any of the others.

9. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

My work uses Dropbox and it's insanely fast. Go with that.

10. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Does Live Mesh support/preserve alternate file streams for HFS, like labels and whatnot?

11. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I haven't tried any but Dropbox, but I'm not inclined to switch. Too many iPad/iPhone apps out there that offer support for Dropbox, and not the others. Or maybe I just haven't noticed them.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Nice zombie bump. Even though I have MobileMe now, I still think Dropbox is the best.

HEY THERE, PAST ME!

13. eddleetham macrumors newbie

I've tried Dropbox but I don't like the need to put all the files I want syncing into the Dropbox folder. There may be workarounds, but they sound too complicated.

I'm now trying SugarSync and it seems to do the job. Yes, it is a little tricky to set up, but I'm hoping that I've now got it right and the folders in My Documents that I've selected for syncing will just magically update. They seem to have removed the limit of two computers, even for the free version. You get 5GB of cloud storage for free and more if you pay. My only gripe so far is that the Help is not very comprehensive.

I haven't tried LiveMesh, but unless SugarSync throws up unforeseen problems, I'll probably stick with it.