Dropbox which account do you use - free/50gb/100gb

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, Nov 9, 2009.

?

Which dropbox package do you use.

1. 2 gb - free

74 vote(s)
    92.5%
  2. 50 gb - 9.99/mth

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. 100gb - 19.99/mth

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looking to see how many folks use the free version of dropbox as opposed for the paid account type.

I'm on the free version and while I'm living within the 2gb quota, I can see upgrading.

2. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I'm a free user myself because I don't need that much space for dropbox. You know you can get more free storage by going through some tutorial thing and referring friends. I think you can get up to an extra 3GB from referrals, and I think the tutorial is another 250MB or something around there. Get some referrals and you can have a decent sized storage for free.

3. Feek macrumors member

Feek

I use the free version but I've referred enough people to bump me up to 5Gb of space. I guess I use a couple of gigs of the space I have available.

4. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I use the free version, but as of today I'm at 45.3% of my 2GB. And that percentage will go up as I sync more of my apps among my macs. I currently use symlinks to keep LicenseKeeper, LittleSnapper, and DVDpedia synced across my three macs. But I'm planning on adding more apps, so maybe I should get some referrals :). If only iDisk allowed the use of symlinks, 2GB of Dropbox would probably be enough for me.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I've told myself I'd get the paid plan if I needed the space. Thus far, I haven't gone past a few dozen MB. I mostly use it for shuffling school files around, and keeping them backed up. (Ok, I kind of took that to the extreme though and symlinked my entire school folder into it)

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

free. using 3.7% of my 2.2gb. but ill probably have to go paid as I start making my solo album.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

wow, as of this morning, there's 16 people who have the free version to 1 of the 50gig flavor.

I'm a little surprised by this, while I realize free is always better then spending money, I'd thought more people would have been taking advantage of the 50gig package.

8. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I have the free version NOW but a few months ago i was paying for the 50Gb version.

I mainly wanted to use the service as a backup for my iphoto library and documents. But i've found its cheaper to backup straight to amazon S3 using jungle disk. Cost me $10 for the first 33GB backup then about 45c for all my backups after that..

wayyyy cheaper than $9.99 a month

9. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Guys, this thing is FREAKING AWESOME!

I definitely love this app, paired with chronosync I have my college related files synced across:

- My Mac.
    - Internet.
    - iPod touch
    - Flash memory!

I will most likely pay for this, since i will be getting my iMac pretty soon to sit next to my beloved uniMacbook :D

[​IMG]

10. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Free for me.

My biggest gripe with Dropbox (and a number of other online sync tools) is its lack of encryption & privacy. I really don't want to sync my personal files to a remote server knowing full well they are sitting there unencrypted, available to prying eyes. So for now, I only sync encrypted files back and forth (annoying) or small, non-personal stuff.

11. dws90 macrumors regular

A vaild complaint, except for the fact that Dropbox does encrypt your files...

12. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While the other poster had noted that Dropbox does have encryption, I still refrain from using Dropbox to sync any personal data. My iBank files and other documents that are "sensitive" stay on my main computer, or if need be, I'll move them manually.

Seeing that so far there's only one vote for the paid account type, I wonder how dropbox makes money since so many of use the free option.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's encrypted with AES-256 bit encryption. While this is great (AES-256 is what the NSA uses for TOP SECRET information), it just shifts the method of attack from trying to figure out the key(s) to trying to crack the passwords, which is generally much easier. Passwords are almost always the #1 weakness in the protection scheme of any "personal" information.

A lot of businesses use it.

14. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

That must be new as when I was initially setting up my Dropbox account the EULA was worded so broadly as to infer others (e.g., Dropbox team) could access your private files. Something like what was being discussed here.

15. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

looks like they dropped the 10 gigs a month for 4.99 that's what I am paying for. well it just does not show but I still see it when I login.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

A lot of colleges as well, and recording studio's.

I cant think of any hacker who'd want to even bother. They couldnt care less, they are after much bigger exploits than your Dropbox account. And it is just common sense you dont put personal info online.

17. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

currently using it for projects for school with multiple teammates. very very handy! saves alot of email reading for attachments.

Reffered 12 people and did the tour so i have 5.2GB on my free account :D

18. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

currently using it for projects for school with multiple teammates. very very handy! saves alot of email reading for attachments.

Reffered 12 people and did the tour so i have 5.2GB on my free account :eek:

[​IMG]

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh, what? It doesn't matter if you dont put personal information online because millions of other people do. If there is personal data stored by a company on a Dropbox account, it's a potential target. Maybe not yours, but a business or University certainly- students could be after copies of exams, industrial espionage, etc.

20. Kinghayden macrumors newbie

Awesome Free Dropbox

I have the free 2gb dropbox. But am considering upgrading to 50gb to sync my iTunes library across my computers. At the moment I use it to host website's and store odd files that I want to access on other computers.

Dropbox is awesome.
    :apple::apple:

21. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

that may drive you nuts every time you listen to a song it will have to be uploaded and synced. I have 10 gigs and have 15 after referrals. Not sure if they still have the 10 gig accounts. I also bought the versions till eternity option since that has been a lifesaver for me.

22. ChuckB macrumors newbie

Provided you are using a Dropbox application, Dropbox always keep a local copy of all the files on your machine, so there is no uploading/syncing necessary "every time you listen to a song" - sync will be done automatically in the background when you take your computer online (in case Dropbox is running on your machine, that is).

I think this is important to understand - Yes, Dropbox keeps your files online (and you can access them from every computer using the web access) but it also creates a local copy on each machine on which a Dropbox application is running.

I use the 50GB option (currently 78% full) - I put all my photos and other data on the Dropbox and can access them over all my computers (MacMini, MBA, Windows PC in office and Windows Laptop for office). No matter on which machine I do something (such as transferring pictures from an iPhone or digital camera) it's automatically synced to every machine, which is very convenient for me. I also use Symlinks to sync data from a bunch of applications that do not natively support Dropbox (such as Delicious Library or all the setting and "Persons"-affiliations from Picasa) If any of my computers breaks down tomorrow, I simply get a new one, link it to my Dropbox account and I'm ready to go.

I personally don't sync my iTunes library - I have my songs with me on my iPhone anyhow ... (and my Time Capsule always has a backup)

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

I tried using it but gave up after the sync process corrupted files. I would copy a file into the dropbox folder, then go to my laptop half an hour later, and the file was "updated" but it was corrupt and unusable. Apparently dropbox doesn't work for all types of files. It was a great concept and the sync was fast, but when I found out I couldn't trust it I dropped out. Also the files would show up in the destination dropbox with strange "modified" dates. I thought dropbox simply copied the files, but apparently they try to monkey around with the files so that they don't have to copy the entire thing every time. This means you have to trust yet another piece of software to copy your files. I switched back to using the reliable usb key method.

24. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I use the free version with some referrals to enlarge space. I find the paid versions a bit pricey.

25. jamin100 macrumors 6502