Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
... on both my iPhone6 and Air2.
The App starts, offers to use TouchID, freezes and closes.

This has been going on for about one week and no updates are available.
Anyone else here? Solution?
Thanks.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
... on both my iPhone6 and Air2.
The App starts, offers to use TouchID, freezes and closes.

This has been going on for about one week and no updates are available.
Anyone else here? Solution?
Thanks.

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

It's working fine on all my devices and my husband's (we have separate Dropbox accounts), so what you're experiencing isn't universal. I ran into a similar issue with Facebook yesterday...a reinstall fixed it, so it's at least worth a shot.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

It's working fine on all my devices and my husband's (we have separate Dropbox accounts), so what you're experiencing isn't universal. I ran into a similar issue with Facebook yesterday...a reinstall fixed it, so it's at least worth a shot.

No I haven't.
I'll try that tonight, thanks.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Have you tried removing it from your fast app switcher and restarting it?

I used to really like Box, but they messed up so many things when they rebranded from .net to .com that they rendered a lot of their plugins useless. I much prefer Dropbox.

jrpmsms

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
San Francisco
I too have had the same DP problem. However I only seem to have it when "on the road" and on cellular data. It doesn't happen when I have a solid wifi connection.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Although I use Google Drive (15GB free) Dropbox by far is more popular with developers. There are more apps that support dropbox in a sharesheet than any other solution.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I too have had the same DP problem. However I only seem to have it when "on the road" and on cellular data. It doesn't happen when I have a solid wifi connection.

Weird. I still can't replicate this, even on my really crappy signal here at home. (It's so bad in here, I leave the phone on airplane mode + WiFi unless I'm out of the house, and use TMobile's WiFi calling, otherwise I bleed through battery life searching for signal. And Dropbox still opens fine, WiFi or cellular. Odd.)

Box isn't a practical solution for a lot of people. Basically any app I have that I rely on has to sync with the cloud or I won't buy it, because I won't ever rely strictly on iTunes or iCloud backups. Almost none of my apps that sync with third party storage uses Box. ALL allow Dropbox, however, even some that don't sync with iCloud. No matter how good the performance is, it's useless to me if it isn't compatible with 90% of the apps out there.

kingdom23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
In iOS 8 none of my rtf files could be read in Dropbox. You get more storage with Box and it is much simpler to use on a mobile, especially when renaming files.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
In iOS 8 none of my rtf files could be read in Dropbox. You get more storage with Box and it is much simpler to use on a mobile, especially when renaming files.

Interesting. I can't replicate this bug in Dropbox either, as I just opened an rtf file directly in the Dropbox app on an iPad running 8.1.2. Perhaps it's been fixed?

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Problem solved.
I had to de-install Dropbox from iTunes for both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air2. Re-installed, re-logged in and all was fine.

This problem occurred after the latest iOS update last week.
Thanks.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014

Downloaded box again after reading your post. Looks like I had 50gb free space compared to my Dropbox with only 7,9gb free. Which is great. But one thing that Dropbox is much better at or maybe it's just me. Is that video streaming on Dropbox is a lot faster. I have 100/100mb Internet and the video plays for 1 sec and then just buffers. Does this work for you?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The problem with box is that it is not integrated enough with IOS 8. There are a lot of things dropbox can do that box cannot. The share extension for Box is rarely available.

For example, I can add a photo from dropbox directly to the messages app. Box makes you first download the photo since "messages" is not a share option. I agree it is better...just not with IOS 8.

----------

Although I use Google Drive (15GB free) Dropbox by far is more popular with developers. There are more apps that support dropbox in a sharesheet than any other solution.

this. Although google drive is pretty damn good with sharing :)

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Dropbox sync on Mac is also far far better then Box Sync, which is horrible.

In regards to the issue at hand, running Dropbox on 5 iDevices all running 8.1.2, no issues with any of them.

XmeX

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
I have same issue on my IPhone 5s running IOS 8.1.2
I think the issue related to the buggy IOS :(

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
If a specific app is crashing, it seems likely that it is buggy and not necessarily iOS 8. I'd suggest sending feedback to, in this case, Dropbox to let them know the problems you're having.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Both activated on all my devices. No issues. BUT …

There are going to be a number of factors that can cause an app to have issues. It's pretty typical for one person to have an issue and another person to not.

Reach out to Dropbox and let them know yours.

Maybe because they aren't activated camera-upload option or not activated touch id

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Problem solved.
I had to de-install Dropbox from iTunes for both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air2. Re-installed, re-logged in and all was fine.

This problem occurred after the latest iOS update last week.
Thanks.

Problem is back. Did not use it for a few days so I can't say when it "broke" again.

I will re-install and won't enable TouchID this time.

jrpmsms

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
San Francisco
Thought I'd try disabling the Background Uploading in Camera Upload settings. I wondered if it was getting slowed down or caught in that mode (whether there were images to upload or not). So far... DP has not hung... but only been doing this for a day or so. You might try and see if this helps (not that it should be the answer, of course... but a temp fix until a proper update).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.