Dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jammers, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Jammers macrumors member

I see all the web is a light with how fantastic DropBox is but am I wrong in thinking that it is in fact no different the the iDisk?

2. Jammers thread starter macrumors member

Only for 2 gig though.

3. saturnino3 macrumors member

It starts out at 2GB for free but you can increase it all the way to 8 GB by referring your friends and making sure they sign up for an account. I'm up to 4.5 GBs of free storage.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. Jammers thread starter macrumors member

Why? I have Mobile Me and use my iDisk a lot - is it that much better?

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can use it for work and not use my personal space
    I can post links anonymously without referencing my MobileMe account
    I can refer my work associates to a solution and gain space
    The interface with iPad and iPhone apps is awesome for work projects
    It is free
    I have it integrated with GrabBox for screenshots

I use both
    No reason to be tied to one exclusively

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's free. Unlike the iDisk. I used to use it before I got MobileMe.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

I have both MobileMe and Dropbox....

I find DP works better. It's faster, and I like that I can "share" a specific folder to other people.

I trust iDisk more, though. I know that Apple is a big corp and that whatever is on their servers is safe. I don't know anything about DB, and so I worry that at some point they may find their business plan doesn't work and they just shutter the place, and my files are gone. Not likely, I know... but if it's important stuff, I use iDisk.

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

:confused:Even if the company folded and disappeared, how could your files be gone? They are all in your dropbox folder on your HD.:confused:
    I saw somewhere (Macintouch perhaps?) that DB uses 256 bit encryption, just like the US Govt. so it would take a massive effort to crack your protected data, even if someone got past the company's security. I would assume your computer would be an easier target, or do you save your files in an encrypted form too?

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not worried about the security, I'm worried about their financial health. If the company decides it's losing too much money, it may just fold up. Since the files on the HD are exactly the same as the ones on DP, if DP servers presented an "empty" folder to my HD, then my HD DP folder would change to mirror the empty folder.

Not likely, I will admit.... but..... for my critical files..... I'm not yet comfortable with that.

11. davidlv macrumors 65816

I don't think that is how it works, the folder on your hard disk is mirrored on the DB server, and it has priority. Uploads take place automatically to the server from the user HD. If the server suddenly "presented" an empty folder, it would be updated to mirror the Dropbox folder on your HD. At least that is my understanding, if it is actually different, maybe someone else could explain what the actual situation is. However, I think that is right and in that case your fears are groundless.
    That said, I too have concerns about keeping sensitive data on the cloud, like client data files, etc. Anything I am personally responsible for, I would rather have under my own control. At present I do not have any sensitive data to protect, but I have had in the past, and if I do have any in the future it is not going into my dropbox.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Your explanation works well for situations where you are just using the DP folder. But it is also possible to use your browser to go to a web interface of your DP contents. In that case you can delete the files directly from the DP servers, and then your HD folders will automatically delete the same files in order to mirror what is on the DP server.

Don't get me wrong... I use DP, I like DP, I even put important files on it. But I at this point I don't put critical files on it, unless I know they are backed up somewhere else. For that matter, I don't put critical files on iDisk either.