Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Anybody use dropbox?

Ive just uploaded 91MB of photos to it on my Mac but it only shows 86MB on my iphone?

Why is this?

They are high res photos and i want the full file not a downsized version.

All my options are set to keep original sizes so im stumped!?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Have you actually looked at the pics after transfer to see if they been "downsized"? If they were, I'd be curious why only the ~5% difference in storage.

I think it's MUCH more likely that the storage size reporting from two different systems is off by 5%, and that the pics are not downsized. But, like I said, you can check that.

Regards,
Tom

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Don't know why file size discrepancy, could be a difference in file system structure on dropbox servers vs. Desktop.

You can set photo options in app, low/med/high/original. You may prefer original, I do, I don't recall what default is.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Anybody use dropbox?

Ive just uploaded 91MB of photos to it on my Mac but it only shows 86MB on my iphone?

Why is this?

They are high res photos and i want the full file not a downsized version.

All my options are set to keep original sizes so im stumped!?

Mac OS X starting with 10.6 now reports file sizes uses standard SI prefixes. Therefore 1 MB is exactly 1,000,000 bytes, just like 1 MW is exactly 1,000,000 watts.

Many other file systems still use the binary system, reporting values in MiB but calling them MB. In actuality, 1 MiB = 2^20 bytes = 1,048,567 bytes.

Therefore, a file that takes up 91,000,000 bytes will be reported by Mac OS X to use 91 MB of space. But it will be reported by other systems to occupy 87.8 MiB, often calling the units “MB”.

Furthermore, there may also be situations where Mac OS X reports the file size as a multiple of the file system block size, whereas web services like DropBox report the raw number of bytes in the file.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Every file is about 1-200kb smaller in DB than on the Dropbox folder on my mac?

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Every file is about 1-200kb smaller in DB than on the Dropbox folder on my mac?
On your mac, select a file and Get Info. In the “Size” field you should see both the reported size of the file on disk (in KB/MB/GB, which will be a multiple of your file system’s block size, for me that’s 4 KB) and then in parentheses the exact number of bytes used for the file.

If the file size is in the KB range, take the number of bytes and divide by (1,024). If the file size is in the MB range, instead divide by (1,024 * 1,024). If the file size is in the GB range, instead divide by (1,024 * 1,024 * 1,024).

The result should agree with the size reported by Dropbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.