dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abz1981, Aug 20, 2012.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

HI all

This may be a silly question. However hope someone can advise me. I use dropbox for my file storage etc.

on my MBA I can see all my files, are on drop box folder. However when I try and move the files on to the HD of my MBA from drop box. It don't keep a copy in my dropbox.

Whats the best way to resolve this?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if its a silly question.

Thanks

abz

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

then dropbox folder is on your HD, so when you move it out of the dropbox folder it will remove the files from the dropbox and all the computers that have dropbox installed with the same account or shared folder.

Just use the dropbox folder as your Document folder.

3. simsaladimbamba

Since the Dropbox folder is located in Macintosh HD (your MBA's storage medium, also called "volume") / Users / YOU (your home folder) / Dropbox, you already have a copy of the Dropbox contents locally (in addition to them being stored on a Dropbox server), therefore copying contents out of the Dropbox folder is not necessary to get files locally.

PS: Moving files is not the same as copying. Moving means, that a file/folder will be stored somewhere else and removed from its original location. Copying (CMD+C) means, that you copy a folder/file and paste it (CMD+V) somewhere else, thus having the file/folder in its original location and a copy of the file/folder in another location.
    Normally dragging and dropping a file/folder from a location to another location stored on the same volume (Macintosh HD for example) will move the file/folder and not copy it.

Was that understandable?

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

HI

Thanks evil and sim. I understand now. Thanks for the explanations. I will therefore just keep my dropbox folder on my HD as my document folder :).

5. scarred macrumors 6502a

The other option is to use symbolic links. If you are ok getting your hands a little dirty in terminal, it is easy and I feel makes a better experience with dropbox. You would keep your documents in whatever location you want, and just point dropbox to them:

Example: To create a symbolic link called "OSX" in the drop box document folder... ln -s ~/Documents ~/Dropbox/Documents/OSX.

After you do that, let dropbox do its thing, and login to the web app. You should see all the files you have in your Mac Documents folder nicely synchronized to the Documents/OSX folder in dropbox.