Dropbox

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by And, Jan 20, 2015.

1. And macrumors 6502

And

Nnnnnoooooo. Dropbox are pulling Leopard and Tiger support. :-(

2. eyoungren, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just got that email.

Perhaps we can fool it by modifying the version number like with Skype. Who knows. In any event, if it's no longer possible then here's another area where the Fluid app will become useful.

EDIT: So everyone is on the same page here…

Attached Files:

3. vlark macrumors member

I think it's weird they are pulling support rather than just dropping support. How hard would it be to just say no more updates; the app is locked at XYZ feature set? Unless they are totally changing the sync engine, I don't get it. It's basically running Python scripts, so I guess they are deprecating the verison of Python that's installed on 10.4 & 10.5. Also, they are dropping support for those OSes on Intel & PowerPC; this isn't just targeting unsupported CPUs.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Targeting Tiger and Leopard effectively kills PowerPC. They know that. There are very, very few people still using those versions on Intel Macs. I doubt many of those people that are are even aware of Dropbox.

In any case I expressed my displeasure to their dev team. We will see how that goes.

Sugarsync, one of their competitors still allows PowerPC access. You just have to have one of the PowerPC compatible apps. But they are not forcing a logout like Dropbox is stating in their email.

I can understand as you said, dropping further dev support. Dropbox has supported PowerPC far longer than the majority of app developers out there. But not allowing older versions that work on PowerPC to access Dropbox?

I'm more than tempted to just drop them altogether. Not that that is any kind of a threat to them, but I can and will take my business elsewhere.

I'm hoping that if they do not relent someone can find a workaround – just like what happened with Skype.

5. NathanJHill, Jan 20, 2015

NathanJHill macrumors member

NathanJHill

All good questions. I'm disappointed too.

I might move away from Dropbox completely now, because being able to sync with my G5 was really great. I may have to look at something like btsync now. We'll see.

I hope they post a little more rationale. If it's just that they need to compile on newer machines, that's a bad excuse. Of course, we had to realize that our compatibility wasn't going to last forever, especially for PPC machines.

Question - is there a way to use connect to Dropbox via webdav? That may eventually be one work around.

And to add insult to injury here, I just posted a little nifty workaround to give PPC machines access to iCloud Drive using Dropbox. I'll have to re-research other sync options now:
    http://g5center.net/index.php?post=guess-what-you-can-use-icloud-drive-on-a-power-mac-g5

6. vlark macrumors member

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

8. NathanJHill macrumors member

NathanJHill

9. lukel, Jan 20, 2015

lukel macrumors newbie

Well this is very disappointing. As we all know, Dropbox's functionality with PowerPC makes using the platform that little bit easier. However, I imagine that there will be several ways to work around this issue if Dropbox do not change their mind!

Indeed, I often use Dropbox on a platform that it does not support - albeit in a different way entirely. I occasionally use my old iMac G3 (running OS 9.2.2) to write letters and work on a book that I am currently writing (Word 2001). The documents that I am working on always reside in my Dropbox folder. In order to access these files I have a Mini G4 as a server which shares my Dropbox folder across my home network. I can thus access my files via OS 9 through home network sharing, and all changes are synced across my devices. It's not ideal but it does work! (OS 9 can be a pain with networking and file sharing). Of course, this solution would not work should you be on the road and without access to your home network via a VPN.

Having said that, I'm now going to have to rethink my server situation. I've been after an early generation intel Mac Mini for a while now; I'm just very reluctant to retire the Mini G4!

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Added my comment.

It's unfortunate, Dropbox and my G4/G5 computers are a massive part of my workflow, as files are "just there" not requiring me to use a flash drive and move files manually. If they do drop it, there will certainly be a bunch of users lost.

And, on top of this they say that we can use the web browser which is lame, we want a program that will physically sync the files to our Macs hard drive, not in the cloud!!

11. Bob Kiwi macrumors member

While I'm displeased at the decision (I use a PowerMac G5 in a remote location to digitize magazines and the like and sync via Dropbox) but I get the logic.

There's just so much that they can't do because of targeting an app that works on 10.4/10.5, much less PPC.

Sadly, unlike Firefox, it's not like we can find a champion to maintain a PPC port.

So what's our best bet for free syncing between PPC and modern Macs, Windows, etc.? SugarSync? Simple syncing from my G5 to modern Macs/PCs is the most important thing I need on the G5- lack of it may finally obsolete the machine.

Honestly, what I'd really love is a Dropbox-type program that works on Mac OS 9 and modern machines and respects Data/Resource forks. But I get the insanity of that ;)

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I read about this on 9to5 Mac. I was surprised. It doesn't affect me personally, but it seems ridiculous to automatically deny access to a dropbox client app!

13. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

For security reasons maybe?
    Because they no longer support it, if a dangerous bug was found then they cannot fix it, or else they would have to go back update each version. It would be simpler and easier and safer to cut off all unsupported versions from their system.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sugarsync is in the same boat. They haven't cut off access yet - and they dropped PowerPC for app development a couple of years back.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is it odd that I started phasing out Dropbox with a custom rsync script on my older PowerPC Macs only just last week?

16. TorCoolguy macrumors newbie

17. NathanJHill macrumors member

NathanJHill

Well, hey, that is at least a potential workaround. I'll keep an eye on that. Maybe someone could figure out how to expand the script. Even if it worked where you ran it once per session to download/upload files, it could at least be some sort of workaround to those who find Dropbox integral to their workflow.

18. TorCoolguy macrumors newbie

Well, if this proves to be viable we could write our own non-platform specific dropbox client!

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is a royal kick to PPC users as I take notes in Word on my iPad which saves them to Dropbox and I can work later for homework on my PowerBook or G5.

20. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Here we go.

Attached Files:

21. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Nailed it.

bahahahaha

22. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Well said!

23. RedCroissant Suspended

Nicely said.

After reading some of the posts and looking on DropBox's forum, I decided to go ahead and delete my account with them anyway. Since I have to move back to the PPC architecture (finances) my ability to sync newer iOS devices with my older iBooks would have required DropBox (which was also part of my sales pitch to my wife that made an upgrade to an iPhone 5S a possibility).

So I guess I will continue to use my 3GS and my G4s and G3s along with my Intel iMac (until that goes away as well)!!!

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You know I have dibs on that Intel iMac. :D

25. And thread starter macrumors 6502

And

Dropbox is one of the main apps that keeps my G5 useful and useable still. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for a suitable replacement or workaround. I know there's the browser access option, but downloading, editing, and uploading is not an ideal option these days. Fingers crossed an alternative can be found!