Dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac7, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I have the client installed on my MBP. I synced some files by dragging them into the dropbox folder. Now the dropbox folder has folders ;) in it, can i delete those folders? Would the files still be backed up in dropbox?

2. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Naturally any files in the deleted folders will also be deleted. It acts just like a physical file system.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

No. Dropbox is not meant to be a backup solution. Your account syncs with its folder on your system(s) and vice-versa, any changes (like deleting a file) to one will be reflected on the other(s). However, you can recover deleted files via the website, but only for up to 30 days after deletion.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/115

4. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I mean to delete the folders with red arrows pointing at them.

[​IMG]

Also can someone tell me why my pictures never show in my posts?

5. Andy Helm macrumors newbie

Time Machine

I have successfully used Time Machine to backup and restore files from the DropBox online folder. Don't know how it works, but it's pretty cool.

-Andy

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Dropbox is a place on your Mac to store documents etc. just like anywhere else, except that everything in there will be synced to the Dropbox server and any other devices linked to the same Dropbox account. So, if you now have documents etc. within the Dropbox folder, they don't need to exist elsewhere on that Mac.

Think of your Dropbox folder as an alternative combined Documents / Pictures/ Movies folder.

As Jolly Jimmy said, the files within the Dropbox folder are also protected by a versioning system on the Dropbox server.

If you use a utility like Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to back up your local machine, then it will make a further copy of your Dropbox folder too.

7. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

yes but once i drag my folders into that dropbox folder and let it finish syncing, can i delete the folders that i dragged into there

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

In short, no.