Droped my MBP, half the screen is bugging out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iiwii, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Iiwii macrumors newbie

Iiwii

so i droped my mbp and it hit the edge of a step, but not that hard, is slightly dented the front lid ( where the apple logo lights up) but its sunch a small dent you cant see it when i took the picture of it, anyways when i turned on my mbp half the screen was all weird, it is straight down the bottom of the isight cam, when i plug something in the left hand usb some of the colors on the screen change, would anyone know what got damaged, and how i would be able to fix this??[​IMG]:(

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

ewww....i would be sick to my stomach.

send it off to get fixed, that's not going to be a do-it yourself job.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Could be a cracked logic board, perhaps the connector is loose (easier to fix) or even some sort of screen damage (cheaper than a logic board). Is it in warranty?

Cheers

4. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

Epic Failure

take it in :] if ur outta warranty
    ur done

5. Iiwii thread starter macrumors newbie

Iiwii

;-( i dont have apple care or what ever its called ;-(, the screen isnt scratched though, i was thinking maybe some cables got loose or something, not too sure,does anyone know about the apple warrenty??? since i did drop it by accident i dont think they will cover that

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If its under a year old, it is covered by Apple. You can check on the support pages on Apple.com by putting in your serial number.

Sometimes, if the damage looks slight and nowhere near the screen, the tech that receives it will just repair it. If they open it and decide its user damage they just send it back so nothing lost in trying if its still under warranty.

Good luck

7. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Good idea, that will help determine if its the screen or logic board. If it's the screen and it's out of warranty, new ones are available for the skilled DIY user for around $250.

Cheers,

9. Iiwii thread starter macrumors newbie

Iiwii

i use an external moniter and it work fine with that, i will stop by the apple store maybe tonight or friday, i will let you know whats up, also any more suggestions is always welcomed ;-)

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Apple won't cover it if it is accidental damage. It doesn't matter if it is under warranty or not.

11. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah....warranty won't cover that. try hooking it up to an ext. monitor and see if you get the same picture. you'll be paying for it to get fixed regardless.
    sorry dude!

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

wrong!! if he dropped it and caused the damage, apple will not fix it for free.

13. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Apple will probably fix it because of the nvidia card

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's why the work order authorizes Apple to charge your $100 for diagnostics. There is no such thing as a free lunch my friend.

15. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

To me that looks like your video cable got knocked out a bit. Plug in an external monitor and see if it displays correctly, if it does you can either take it to Apple (as long as there is no evidence (dings etc) that you dropped it) and they will fix it, or you can go for the do it yourself option and fix it that way (sort of easy). If the display on the external monitor is funky, then you'll need to take it to Apple (again if there is no evidence that you dropped it) and get it repaired or buy a new machine.

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I ran the help desk at a large university and we sent many laptops in for repair and Apple took care of it as long as the dents and scratches didn't look like they impacted the malfunctioning area, the bench techs tended to repair it (not so much if the student took it to an Apple retail store). Also, we (the student) were never charged for diagnostic on units still covered under warranty.

Cheers,

17. masoud90 macrumors newbie

As far as i know, it is definitely an internal problem. I experienced this with my last PC laptop and it would drive me nuts. It has something to do with your motherboard or something.

18. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

try the external, if its cool take it to apple. they will look at it at least :)