Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I had it in a Pitaka aramid fiber case and with a screen protector. It feel while walking in a parking lot. While going to pick it up I also kicked it about 5 feet. The case has some damage and the screen protector was totaled but not a scratch on the phone. Love this thin protective case more than ever now.

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    554.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    441.2 KB · Views: 183

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I had it in a Pitaka aramid fiber case and with a screen protector. It feel while walking in a parking lot. While going to pick it up I also kicked it about 5 feet. The case has some damage and the screen protector was totaled but not a scratch on the phone. Love this thin protective case more than ever now.
You might want to consider a case with more grip and drop protection. You might not be as lucky next time it falls.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I love Pitaka and feel it always has done a great job for me. Ive dropped phone with them over 6 times and never received any damage.
You got lucky. The Pitaka Air and MagEZ cases are not going to do well in any drop tests. Sounds like you also drop your phones often in their cases. Do as you desire. I would not advise the Pitaka as a good case with respect to drops.

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
You got lucky. The Pitaka Air and MagEZ cases are not going to do well in any drop tests. Sounds like you also drop your phones often in their cases. Do as you desire. I would not advise the Pitaka as a good case with respect to drops.
Yea I agree - glass doesn't break from one drop. Typically it is weakened over many drops and then cracks with even lesser impact in the future.

Not a huge deal with Applecare+ though, $29 and some inconvenience.

lordhamster

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
I’m sure there will be members here who would argue their iPhone would never receive that sort of damage despite never using a case or screen protector lol.
Equally, there are members who would post that damage photo and claim they babied their phones, never put it in a pocket with keys yet somehow the screen "scratched." ?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G5
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Equally, there are members who would post that damage photo and claim they babied their phones, never put it in a pocket with keys yet somehow the screen "scratched."

I’ve not encountered that I’m afraid. I’ve seen people post images of scratched screens and genuinely not know how it’s happened. My wife’s friend scratched the screen on her iPhone 11 but had no idea how it had happened. Obviously it had been scratched by something in a pocket or on a surface, but there is acceptable wear and tear. I’ve not seen anybody claim a screen has scratched from thin air.

lordhamster

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
I’ve not encountered that I’m afraid. I’ve seen people post images of scratched screens and genuinely not know how it’s happened. My wife’s friend scratched the screen on her iPhone 11 but had no idea how it had happened. Obviously it had been scratched by something in a pocket or on a surface, but there is acceptable wear and tear. I’ve not seen anybody claim a screen has scratched from thin air.
I'm being hyperbolic.

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Unknown scratches are one thing we've all experienced, but more common is outright lies.

When I worked at the Genius Bar many years ago it was funny how some people had no idea how they got Diet Coke inside their phones.

Or "I swear I just pulled it out of my purse and it was cracked like this!"

I was much more willing to replace at no charge when someone was brutally honest. One time a guy came in with his phone in pieces, with blood on it inside a ziplock bag. He said he got really angry and threw it out the window from the second floor of his house. Another lady had an autistic child who tossed her iPad and shattered it. Or a college kid who said she dropped her phone in beer while drunk. I replaced these devices at no charge due to the brutal honesty, since it was so rare...

kp98077

macrumors 68030
Oct 26, 2010
I love Pitaka and feel it always has done a great job for me. Ive dropped phone with them over 6 times and never received any damage.
I love the feel too of the pitaka it works VERY WELL for the pro max...its the only case I think that makes the phone feel thin and light. Today I put on my apple leather case I don't even like that! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.