dropped 15" and now hinge bent maybe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2ms, Mar 8, 2009.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

My 15" unibody MBP was opened up and too close to the side of the bed when someone jostled it and so the notebook fell to the floor. It was only a short distance and I thought everything is fine, but now I notice that it doesn't quite like to close all the way and when I look at it closely the screen half of the "clam" doesn't quite line up with the main body when I do have it closed up.

Is this a common form of damage from dropping notebooks? Any suggestions on how best to get it fixed? I want to get it fixed but I don't want to get ripped off (as can often happen when getting electronics repaired, I've learned). I almost want to just try to bend it back, but I know better than that, I guess...

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Take it to an Authorized Apple Repair shop and they'll give an estimate first before the do any work....:(

3. goffski macrumors member

I've just done the exact same thing this morning. I took it into the Apple Store and they gave me a price of £450 for repair it. Apparently the whole of the screen case will need to be replace as its all one until and not just the hinge.

Now waiting for my home insurance to call me back.

4. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh no, that's way too much for me to do. I certainly would never do that without at least trying to bend it back by myself first. But geez, this sucks.