Dropped 15" Retina Macbook Pro Damaged Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harry Muff, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Harry Muff macrumors regular

My 15" late 2013 rMBP just fell off the sofa.

At first, I just thought the screen case had taken a ding, then I noticed that the LCD under the glass was slightly cracked and on a black screen it shows weird colours due to it being bent slightly.

I'm going to go to the Apple store nearby in the morning to see if I can just book it in without waiting a week for an appointment. It's not like I need them to see if it's broken...

So, can you tell me what I can expect price wise? Will having Apple Care bring the cost down a bit?

I just clean installed Yosemite and it was all perfect before this...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

You're looking at an expensive repair that will not be covered by AppleCare at all.

Do you have home contents insurance? You may find that accidental damage is covered to laptops. It has got me out of the brown smelly stuff more than once.

I hate to tell you this, but you're looking at a week for the repair. They don't repair on the spot, but have a number of repairs out the back, and yours will join the back of the queue.

3. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Ouch!

iFix it has it for $900. Maybe $1000 including labour.

If you're brave, you can do it yourself.

I had mine replaced (under warranty) and it only took about an hour by the technician.

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Having AppleCare will help a bit and ask them very nicely about costs for an out of warranty replacement unit, prices of which are at the discretion of the manager. Normally you have to make a Genius Bar appointment though so be extra nice and desperate!

Make sure your backup is 100% ok before you take it in.

5. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Very expensive repair... When I was getting my display replaced for ghosting I think the paperwork said 1k+ with labor (not paid by me), that's what you're looking at.