Dropped 2016 MacBook sell or try to repair

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by magbarn, Sep 16, 2017.

1. magbarn, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

magbarn macrumors 68000

stupid me didn't close my backpack and just bought 2016 MB dropped edge first. Now hard to open. Sell on ebay or can Apple repair at a decent price?

Main reason I'm asking is the neares Apple Store is about a hour from me so a 2 hour waste to do the Genius Bar thing. Plus they're booked out almost a week...

Attached Files:

2. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

When you say just bought - does that mean very recently? If so, and you purchased it with a credit card, there is a chance that the card offers accident insurance for a short time period.

I always use my Amex card when making electronics purchases. They double the manufacturers warranty and provide accident insurance for a short window (I believe 90 days).

As for the damage your MacBook received, does everything else seem to be functioning normally? I'm really not sure what Apple could do for you. If you don't want to go to the Apple Store, I would try giving Apple a call and see if they can give you an idea of what it might cost to repair.

Good luck, I hope everything works out. I hate accidents like this, it is a real bummer - but we are all human and mistakes happen.

3. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

if it still works and the screen is fine just use it as it is. everything else will be a loss of hundreds of $$$. is would guess min 500

4. magbarn thread starter macrumors 68000

Everything seems to functioning. Just the hinges don't feel smooth anymore and I'm suspecting they're going to eventually break. Just wondering if I should just cut my losses and offload it on ebay while it still has some value

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Do you have AC+? If so, you're covered and looking at $100-200 to repair it (depending on how they bill it)