Dropped 2017 MBP on Concrete - Cosmetic Damage Fix

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Justin122, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Hi all, the most unfortunate thing happened the other day - I dropped my few month old MBP on concrete. Luckily the damage seems to be only cosmetic but it has taken a big hit; the lid/screen was knocked out of alignment, meaning the clamshell design is now off-centre, and there is a chunk of aluminium missing from the corner. Also, I'm not sure what this is but a bit of ribbon cable slipped out of the top of the bezel. The machine works fine, but I'm wondering if I could somehow get this repaired by Apple? Do they do case replacements? Thank you.

2. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Do you have AppleCare+? If you do, accidental damage is covered and they will fix or replace it. If not, if it's fixable I am sure they will, for an exorbitant amount of money. But depending on the extent of the damage they may tell you that you just need another one.

3. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Again AppleCare + ? If not use your Mac as intended, enjoy and prosper from it. Forget the aesthetics, focus on the output that's what's really important :)

Q-6

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

They will replace the case but to be honest it’s almost as cheap to buy a new one.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, its going to be expensive repair, and as mentioned above, if you have AC+, it will be covered.

6. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

They will repair it if you wish so, but it's going to be extremely expensive and not worth it if the damage is only cosmetic. You're covered only if you have AC+ or some equivalent insurance against accidental damage.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Just a thought your best bet is to claim off your home insurance here.

8. Brammy macrumors 68000

I had the same thing happen, including the concrete floor. I got very, very lucky and there is a scuff dent near the hinge.

[​IMG]IMG_2520 by Mark Crump, on Flickr

9. Justin122, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018

Justin122 thread starter macrumors 6502

For some stupid reason I don't have AppleCare, but I've got a comprehensive insurance package for it, which covers accidental damage. However I've had to make huge claims on it recently (I killed my old MBP by dropping it last summer!) so I'm a bit concerned about my premiums. I'll have to go to an Apple Store and see what they say. It took forever to import everything from my old MBP onto my new one, and is a custom spec - so if they can't replace the case, I guess I'll have to live with it as it's probably not worth the hassle.

Does anyone know if Apple are planning to release leather sleeves for the MBPs?

10. bhatiak macrumors member

11. TonyK macrumors 65816

TonyK

Sleeves for MBPs cause me concerns about adequate heat management.

12. robvas macrumors 68030

I nicked mine....there was a button in my case and of course it landed perfectly, the inside of the button (metal circle) basically gouged it's shape into the side. Glad the screen didn't crack but my 2-week old, i7/512GB/16GB 13" touchbar was scarred for life.

I stuck it in a Speck case, so it's not quite as thin as it was but at least it won't get dinged up anymore. It was so distracting to look at.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Leather sleeve? Dropping two MBPs, If I read that correctly, i would be looking at hard shell cases.

14. Justin122 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol just a bad season. My old MBP I had since 2012 and I hadn't dropped it once. I usually carry my new MBP in my bag but there was an emergency evacuation of my building so I just grabbed it and ran out.