Dropped 6 plus face down in puddle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ventana, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ventana macrumors regular

So I dropped it getting out of the car and it fell facedown in a puddle. So I picked it up within a second and wiped it off instantly and blowing on it constantly. At first when I tried to make phone calls I couldn't hear anything at all, 5 minutes later I could hear but it was fuzzy and quiet still, 5 minutes later it was louder and another 5 minutes later it works now fine. Did I just probably get a little water in the ear piece then it dried? I got so scared cause I'm going on vacation in 6 days and need my phone. Also I don't know if it's just me or not but the battery seems to be draining faster. If it works good now is it probably ok?

2. wolfaaron macrumors regular

Sometimes it takes time for electronics to start reacting to water damage. I would minimize this possibility by submerging it in silica gel packets or in rice.

I know people that have spilled liquid on their laptops and they didn't die until a couple of days later.

3. MetalGamer09 macrumors member

It will probably be ok but just to be safe i would turn the phone off and put it in a zip lock bag of rice overnight. If there is any remaining water in the phone the rice should absorb it.

4. Bahroo macrumors 68000

the reciever grill on the front of the device is a little water resistant actually, and also the device can take a quick dive in the water for no more then few seconds, did your plus get completly submerged or only the front

5. ventana thread starter macrumors regular

Seemed like the front only did the. Water got under my case. My bottom speakers work perfectlly fine. If it's water resistant how come I couldn't hear on the speaker all the way for about 20 minutes?

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Resistant is not the same as water proof.

7. ventana thread starter macrumors regular

Well I did the rice thing last night and it seems fine right now. Crossing fingers it stays fine

8. techspin macrumors 6502a

Don't eat the rice. XD

9. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I think it should be fine. They tightly pack in the componenents so much that it actually helps the phone insides block water from going in

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The symptoms you are describing suggest you got water in the earpice. I have run my gym earbuds through the wash a few times and these are the exact symptoms you describe. I also dropped my Lumia 520 into a puddle similar to how you described and had the exact same symptoms then too. Never had issues with that phone again, although it was (still is) a backup device sitting in my sock drawer. best $35 I ever spent. Use it now whenever we go to an amusement park or crowded event where I'd rather not lose or get my expenive phones stolen.

11. bushman4 macrumors 68000

You followed all the possible remedies and should be alright. It's not like the phone was submerged in water. For a long period of time Good Luck. All of s well

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Usually damages at the speaker and the display aren't recoverable, so you should be ok now.

13. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Throw it in a baggie with instant rice, not regular rice.

The instant stuff is significantly better at absorbing moisture out of the air.

14. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I spilled some water on my iPhone 5 a while back and it seemed fine. Then a week later, the receiver (speaker next to the front facing camera) failed. Apple gave me a new phone since I had AppleCare+.

NOW, that's not to say that'll happen to you. But know that you may have to use the speakerphone if your front speaker conks out. If you have AppleCare+ they should replace it no problem.

What likely happened in your case is a film of water got on the physical grill, blocking the sound. As it dried out, it started working again. Apple has improved the water resistance of the iPhone 6 considerably compared to the 5, so your phone should be fine, but it never hurts to be careful.

15. predation macrumors 6502a

don't be waste full.. make some fried rice...

to OP, should have just sucked on the speaker grill like you'd do if bitten by a poisonous snake.. lmao

16. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Except... Sucking out poison is the last thing you should do if bitten:p .

On topic, the phone will most likely be perfectly fine. If you wanna be even more sure, you can turn it off and put it with some silica gel packets for a day or two.