Dropped 8+ Twice...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pcr3304, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Pcr3304 macrumors newbie

I’m seeking input from those who have dropped case-less iPhones and lived to tell the tale...

First drop - day 1 with my brand new 8+ - I had it charging on top of the box. I did not account for the new slippery-ness of the glass back, and it somehow slid off the box on its own and fell about 3.5 feet onto the hardwood floor. Great news - not a single scratch or ding and everything worked fine.

Second drop - today (not even a week later) - Fell out of my bag while taking out my iPad about 5 feet onto a hardwood hotel deck. Once again - not a single scratch or ding and everything seems to work fine.

Of course I’m worried that although there is no physical damage, there is no way to really tell if there is internal damage.

For those of you who’ve dropped case-less iPhones and haven’t had external damage - have you noticed any internal damage pop up days/weeks/months/years later? Is there any way to tell?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

2. Ava* macrumors newbie

Ava*

So far I have dropped every single one of my phones (3 iPhones among them) at least once. (The worst one was when my Galaxy S6 Edge Plus dropped on its corner on concrete from weist height. Sounded horrible. Thought that would be the end of it, but alas, not a scratch. o_O ) And not once have I noticed any internal damage pop up later on any of the phones. So I'm guessing you'll be good too. :cool:

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There's no way of telling if you have internal damage until you actually use the phone Enough after the fact. But if you're not experiencing abnormalities, I would not worry about it.

4. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

5. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

LOL. Sorry. These type of comments never ceae to amaze me. Slid off on its own? Phones don't just slide on their own, man. Not trying to bust your balls, but these statements are ridiculous. There was some other factor that you aren't thinking about or you don't realize. If it was sitting on the iPhone box on a level surface, then it did not slide off on its own. Something caused it to happen

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you already dropped your new phone twice, maybe time to think about a case. You luck can not hold forever!

7. Pcr3304 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL - please don’t take these comments so literally. As I use the statement, ‘on its own’ means without my intervention or the intervention of another human. As the laws of physics and friction contribute, what likely happened was that the tension of the charging cord was very light but just strong enough to pull lightly on the phone. With such limited friction between the glass and the box, it likely slid and fell.

And in return, not trying to be snarky, but to label my comment as “cease to amaze me” and “ridiculous” is also strange. Those are strong words and statements. “Ridiculous” would have been me saying “Gosh, I put my iPhone on the counter and a little leprechaun jumped out from nowhere, stole my phone, threw it to the end of the rainbow, and it came back damaged.”.

8. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Honestly can't remember dropping my phone.

Storing phones in bags usually ends in tears though. Pockets are your friends.

9. Pcr3304 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for your responses and reassurance. Just looking for some honest, non-snarky feedback here from one human to others. I appreciate your insights!

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It happens, which is why I do bumpers + edge to edge screen protectors.

I doubt any internal damage occurred, but after dropping it a time or two, I wouldn’t trust its seals and/or water resistance rating much.

11. phillytim, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

THIS. Get a case, so your self-acknowledged lack of preventative abuse doesn't cause AppleCare prices to rise further for the rest of us due to your overuse.

12. brgjoe macrumors regular

Luckily I haven't dropped my iPhone 6 out of my hands during my years of owner with it (so far, anyway). But it has fallen out of my pocket a couple of times. Mostly when I am wearing jackets/coats during the winter and I don't jam the phone in there will enough and it slips out.

Fortunately the falls weren't that far (like maybe 2-3 feet). It's in a case and there is a scratch or two on said case. But nothing on the phone. So if I do get a new iPhone, it definitely will wear a case!

Glad to see your iPhone is pretty darn durable OP. Just be a touch careful though to be on the safe side. :)

13. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Seems that you are a good candidate for case and screen protector or.

14. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Yes, get a case, there are nice slim cases available, protect the glass cover too. Iphones aren't cheap, must be protected. Even the slightest nicks or dings bothered me too much. I put mine in a slim case and it had fallen off a few times, the case did its job.

15. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

16. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

17. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Well, unless Apple's making the system boards of their phones out of a less brittle substances, the answer no-one wants to hear is that each and every time you drop your phone (from about 3' up or more) you actually are causing internal damage. "Micro-fractures" in the system board. They build up over time. Drop it enough times and you could have enough cracks in enough layers that something shifts and pathways aren't the same as they were originally. Things like this usually result in odd behaviour with the phone. Random reboots. Data corruption. Little anomalies that seem strange that you can't quite put your finger on. :)

Everyone loves a naked phone. They're sexy. But if you've already dropped your new "shiny" twice, I'd be putting a decent case on it. That'll at least absorb some of the force...giving your phone a longer life.

18. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

That's why they're called accidents. You never know. Having a 7/yo I always have my phones in a case, and I usually carry insurance. When he was younger there were too many "Dad, your phone's ringing, here it's Momma, oops!" incidents. They always worked afterwards surprisingly though idk if a naked phone would've survived. Try a good case and screen protector, if not for anything else, they give me peace of mind.

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Going without a case requires your attention. Attention is something that people who use cases are not used to because a case takes care of that for them.

You need to be aware of where you set your phone down, how you set it down, where it is when being transferred or carried, how it's being handled when it's in your hands and potential dangers to it when it's in a pocket or some place on your person. If it's in a bag, where in the bag and if there are any potential dangers that can affect the bag and cause the phone to be damaged.

This is spatial awareness of your phone. Something case users do to a much lesser extent because having a case means they don't have to.

When you are moving the phone around your attention should be on it until you've set it down. Be mindful of your environment, kids, accident prone adults, gravity, inclines, etc.

If what I am telling you sounds psychotic or too much work - you're a case user. Remember, this is a ~$900 phone and handling that without a case is your responsibility.

20. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

This is a dangerously over-simplified statement. Don't be nasty.

Trust me, I pay very close attention to my phone at all times.

I use a case because accidents happen to anyone & everyone, whether it is their fault or not. Act of God, or not.

I use a case because it is MY responsibility to take care of my $900+ phone, and I'd rather not pay out more money just to fix something that I could have prevented by being responsible.

Period.

21. jiehanzheng macrumors member

Um...if you are really worried about internal damage, I suppose you could return it without explanation and get a new one (since we are still within the return period)?

22. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I am not oversimplifying this and I qualified my statement.

I have seen more case users throw their phones around or put them in hazardous situations than those who do not use cases. A case allows for this.

You have your reasons to use a case and I am not saying you are wrong. But I have some of the same conditions such as a coworker who cannot respect personal space and breaks my stuff and is highly accident prone.

I still do not use a case. But my phones are set in a spot entirely out of her reach at work.

Not every case user is careless. I am not saying that. But using a case does mean you don't have to think about this as much.

23. zone23 macrumors 68000

Well keep trying you know what they say 3rd times a charm.

24. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

I think I've been very lucky that I've only dropped my iPhone once in 10 years and that was the 6 + (Never the original, IP4, IP5) I just need cases because its piece of mind...you never know. I had the case on my IP6+ and no question the way it hit the concrete - top left corner - it would have shattered the screen or worse. It was an Apple silicone case not some heavy duty one with large corner bumpers - But in was my jeans pocket which the rubber material kind of grabbed the inside of my pocket as I pulled it out and it kind of slipped out of my hand. Nice deep nick on the case..which was ok since the phone was perfectly fine.

I realize a lot of people hate cases, it removes the beauty of the phone itself..but I rather have some nice case on it than running a good risk of dropping a $800, $900+ device and then the hassle of getting the screen replaced. On the iP8, 8+..a big risk of shattering both front and back.

25. Playamonte macrumors newbie

Silicon case is the way to go (IMO)
    If you have your phone on vibrate without a case on an equally shiny surface it is likely to move around quite a bit & even without that a moments inattention (as you know) with these modern slippery items could end in tears.