Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

new2iPad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Colorado
Our 4 day old iPad 2 was dropped from my son's lap as he sat on our hardwood steps. It fell about a foot to 18 inches. It landed in what turns out to be a bad spot - right on the volume button. The dent pushed the volume button in and jammed it. The icon for the volume was stuck in the middle of the screen. Could not use the volume button but all other functions were fine.

We took the iPad in to the Apple Store and told them exactly what happened. After some negotiating and explaining that had we not purchased an iMac, MacBook Pro and an iPhone over the past 2 years, we probably would have been content with a Kindle or Nook, they relented. Instead of the $299 replacement fee, we were able to turn in our damaged iPad in exchange for a new iPad at a cost of $150.

We will now be looking at the otter box. The iPad is a bit too fragile to be left with little or no protection. We also are just learning to handle the little thing.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Our 4 day old iPad 2 was dropped from my son's lap as he sat on our hardwood steps. It fell about a foot to 18 inches. It landed in what turns out to be a bad spot - right on the volume button. The dent pushed the volume button in and jammed it. The icon for the volume was stuck in the middle of the screen. Could not use the volume button but all other functions were fine.

We took the iPad in to the Apple Store and told them exactly what happened. After some negotiating and explaining that had we not purchased an iMac, MacBook Pro and an iPhone over the past 2 years, we probably would have been content with a Kindle or Nook, they relented. Instead of the $299 replacement fee, we were able to turn in our damaged iPad in exchange for a new iPad at a cost of $150.

We will now be looking at the otter box. The iPad is a bit too fragile to be left with little or no protection. We also are just learning to handle the little thing.

Did you buy it with a card that offered insurance on recent purchases? Many do.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I use a Smart Cover and a hard plastic back protector for mine and it has been fine. I also use a screen protector, but it's probably not really necessary--just peace of mind. It travels in a dedicated spot in my backpack when I'm commuting on the train or walking to and from my office.

There are cases out there that are way cheaper than an otter box that will protect it just fine. My Smart Cover and back protector do a good job and also maintain the slim profile of the iPad.

ancelrick

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
. After some negotiating and explaining that had we not purchased an iMac, MacBook Pro and an iPhone over the past 2 years, we probably would have been content with a Kindle or Nook, they relented. Instead of the $299 replacement fee, we were able to turn in our damaged iPad in exchange for a new iPad at a cost of $150.

How nice. You are so special that the provisions of the warranty do not apply to you. But then again, maybe it was just worth 150 to make you go away.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The iPad is a bit too fragile to be left with little or no protection. We also are just learning to handle the little thing.
Little thing? That's a perspective not normally heard around here. :D As for it being too fragile to be used without protection, I think that's situational. In your case (children + hardwood floors), a case is probably worth it. :eek:

Did you buy it with a card that offered insurance on recent purchases? Many do.
That's an awesome feature! For me, it's replaced a pair of not-inexpesnive sunglasses and an iPhone, both of which suffered untimely demises due to gravity + sudden deceleration. :eek:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Let's see: I've drove into the wall and damaged my car. The car is a bit too fragile to be left with little or no protection. Manufacturer should fix my car for free! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.