Dropped black iPhone 5 in bath - getting white as replacement, good choice?

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I am off all week for holidays, and dropped my iPhone in the bath about an hour ago. Natwest have agreed to replace it under the terms of my insurance. However they had no black in stock, so said I could have the white instead.

I am not sure if it is a little bit girly or not lol? I am a 36 year old man, you reckon I can carry it off haha!? On a more serious note, I read that these do not scratch as easily and stand the test of time better?

Oh and hats off to Natwest mobile phone insurance, on the phone 20 mins and new phone being shipped tmoz!

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I am off all week for holidays, and dropped my iPhone in the bath about an hour ago. Natwest have agreed to replace it under the terms of my insurance. However they had no black in stock, so said I could have the white instead.

I am not sure if it is a little bit girly or not lol? I am a 36 year old man, you reckon I can carry it off haha!? On a more serious note, I read that these do not scratch as easily and stand the test of time better?

Oh and hats off to Natwest mobile phone insurance, on the phone 20 mins and new phone being shipped tmoz!
Im a guy, I have a white one/ its not girly at all.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If you like the white phone then its a good choice.

The debate about the white phone being girly, is just plain silly. If you like it, then get it. The color of a phone has no impact your gender or what people perceive.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

The debate about the white phone being girly, is just plain silly. If you like it, then get it. The color of a phone has no impact your gender or what people perceive.
Whew! I thiught if you were a guy and you got a white phone your parts fell off!:eek:

This business of the color of your phone being gender specific has come up over and over again and is, IMO, incredibly silly.

Of course, I have a black phone...I'm a manly man!:cool:

:rolleyes: ;)

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Im a guy, I have a white one/ its not girly at all.

Okey doke, feel a bit better now. It was actually my Mum when I rung her and told not to ring me because I dunked my phone who was making me feel bad lol!

Anyway, how has yours held up? I am defo getting a screen protector this time!

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Okey doke, feel a bit better now. It was actually my Mum when I rung her and told not to ring me because I dunked my phone who was making me feel bad lol!

Anyway, how has yours held up? I am defo getting a screen protector this time!
Mine has held up very well.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011

What about the color white is girly?

The forum background here is white, is this a girly forum.

*confused*

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
White is fine. Now if you said your choice was bright pink that would've gotten a different answer.

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
My white iPhone 5 is absolutely flawless and I have had it since launch and I only use a grey Apple iPod sock to keep it in (perhaps that's why). Get the white for a change if nothing else. It's stunning when the summer sun catches the polished bezel.

Last edited:

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
My white iPhone 5 is absolutely flawless and I have had it since launch and I only use a grey Apple iPod sock to keep it in (perhaps that's why). Get the white for a change if nothing else. It's stunning when the summer sun catches the polished bezel.
Great, fancy posting a pic?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Today is a good day for decision making!

You made a choice to get white. Stick with it. Who the **** cares if white is for girls. Those people are pathetic fools who put too much weight on the color of a device.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Today is a good day for decision making!

You made a choice to get white. Stick with it. Who the **** cares if white is for girls. Those people are pathetic fools who put too much weight on the color of a device.
I have youtube'd a few reviews and am getting to like it a bit more. Seems that cases look better on it! Any suggestions on screen protectors / cases?

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
I have youtube'd a few reviews and am getting to like it a bit more. Seems that cases look better on it! Any suggestions on screen protectors / cases?
I just order a Elago S5 Flex case for mine - Indigo colour. There are review on YouTube. Seems pretty good! (They also have bumpers)

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. Get what you like best OP and don't worry about what others say.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Doesn't matter black or white. Still get the same damage if you drop it in bath. LOL. Black or white, does it really matter what other people think. Purchase the colour you want. You are the one that has to use and live with it.

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have black but still really like white. Both colours seem great for different reasons on the iP5, whereas iP4/S seemed to be solely down to personal preference. No overriding factors.

NewYork88

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Wyoming
I've had white since the 4S. I decided to get a Black 5 for a change last month.The dust and grime showing on the front drove me crazy.I convince my wife to trade me white for black and she used it a day and found the same issue...... So now on to white for both of us! I don't see white as girly at all.If anything it looks more Professional !

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I always have this irrational "want" of what I don't have...I have a white iPhone 5, but always look at the black one thinking..damn that thing is sweet looking maybe I should trade for that!

I had a slate black iPad Mini (sold recently) and always thought, dang, maybe I should have got a white one to match my phone.

Oh well, get what you want and just go with it, don't worry what other's think about your choice. If white phones mean girly then the defacto Samsung crowd (primarily white phones) must all be girly!

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
I've had white since the 4S. I decided to get a Black 5 for a change last month.The dust and grime showing on the front drove me crazy.I convince my wife to trade me white for black and she used it a day and found the same issue...... So now on to white for both of us! I don't see white as girly at all.If anything it looks more Professional !
NY88, you don't say of you are male or female - I guess from your preference for the white iPhone you must be the latter ;)

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
To answer the OP's question, I would personally wait for the black iPhone to get back in stock. Im a male but that does not mean I chose black because white is feminine. I choose black because that's what I liked more. Get what you like and don't care what others think because its your phone, not theirs!