dropped calls...does changing SIM card help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psywzrd, Oct 30, 2008.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I've been having problems with dropped calls on my 3G since I got it (I'm running 2.1). For the last 2 weeks I had 3G turned off and I didn't drop one call. Today I decided to turn on 3G and lo and behold the first call I made dropped (this is in a 3G area). I called Apple and they recommended a restore (which I don't want to do) or asking AT&T for a new SIM card. Has anyone with this problem solved it by getting a new SIM card? It doesn't seem like it would help but I'm new to GSM and have never had a SIM before. Is it possible that a faulty SIM card could be causing this problem? It would seem to be an iphone/AT&T problem but trying a new SIM is certainly easier than doing a restore and losing all of my emails. Any help is appreciated.

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

no.
    BUT you can do it so when you return the iPhone for service they have less ammo against you.

3. narjisse macrumors newbie

where do you need to go to get a replacement SIM card, Apple store, or ATT store?

4. ClayMac macrumors member

Here this might help: search for "Miracle Fix" in the apple Iphone 3g discussions area, a link I posted with my original response here didn't seem to work.

5. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Hhhmmm.. Why would you be able to get a SIM card from apple? :rolleyes:
    You need to go to ATT

6. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, all that thread recommends is turning on 3G until you get a signal, putting your phone into airplane mode for 30 seconds and then turning off airplane mode. That is most definitely not a solution for the dropped calls that are occurring.

7. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Well this is a new one for me. I called AT&T to see if Apple's recommendation of a new SIM card could actually resolve my dropped calls issue and they said it could work. They recommended trying a "signal boost" first (whatever that means) so she sent the signal boost to my phone, had me power off the phone for 30 seconds and then power it back on. She told me to try that for a day or two to see if it helps and if not, go into an AT&T and ask for a new SIM card. I still don't have much faith that this will help (I'm pretty convinced that the problem is with the iphone itself), but it certainly can't hurt to try.

8. kent5th macrumors newbie

I'm in DC, and I drop calls like it ain't funny, so I turned off my 3G (which I didn't want to do) and it stopped completely.

9. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

That was my experience to. It's completely ridiculous how widespread this issue is and we still don't have a solution. Turning off 3G is certainly not an acceptable fix and this "signal boost" that they apparently sent is a crock of sh*t.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Yeah, I have read about so many problems with 3G signal...even after the 2.1 "fix". That's why, for now, I'm sticking with my first gen.

11. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

yeah there is this one spot where i have a full 3G signal and the call gets dropped. Its always this one spot. So tonight i was driving through and did a test. I pulled over and made a call. talked for a few seconds and call dropped. repeated... same results. turned off 3G call DID NOT DROP. So... not good. Everywhere I go normally on a day to day basis my iPHone has worked with 3G.

i hope there is a fix soon.

12. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

It's absolutely unacceptable that this problem still exists. The iphone has serious problems with switching from 3G to Edge and vice-versa. I took my dog for a walk yesterday and noticed that my phone was only displaying AT&T (no E or 3G symbol). This was in an area with 3G coverage too so that should not be happening. The only way I could get it to pick up a 3G signal was to turn airplane mode on and off. I get a lot of dropped calls (call failed message), calls where the other party can't hear me, etc. I'm absolutely going to get a new SIM card to see if that helps but it would be nice to know that AT&T and/or Apple have acknowledged this problem and are working on a solution.

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

14. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i live in the 3G blanet of Dallas, TX and i drop calls all the time. I had to turn 3G off and run EDGE for the calls to work.

works 100% flawlessly on EDGE....shame we all have to deal with this

15. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Well I just left the AT&T store with a new SIM card. The guy in there said there's a 50/50 chance that it will help and he also blamed the network for the dropped calls rather than the iphone itself. I found it interesting that an AT&T employee would blame the network but he definitely did. He also mentioned that since the Bold was just released, the situation is not going to get any better until AT&T upgrades their network. Obviously we knew that already since most people agree that the dropped calls have increased since the release of the iphone 3G.

16. markgamber macrumors 6502

Well, it's no secret that despite all the money they've scammed out of their customers over the years, AT&T's network blows. My opinion is that while I don't regret buying an iPhone, I totally regret having to go to AT&T to do it. I suppose the employee figured it's better to be honest than to be laughed at.

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The recent review of the Blackberry Bold directly states that it has superior 3G/Edge switching to iPhone. RIM knows how to build phones.

I had a miserable scenario last night speaking and driving for one hour to one person only resulted in 48 minutes of TALK. The remainder of the time iPhone was dropping and sending her to voicemail when reception appeared fine.

18. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Where is this Bold review you're talking about? I'd like to give it a read.

19. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

I would hazard a guess that the dropped call issues via 3G is a universal issue - we certainly have the same problems here in South Africa (and it's got nothing to do with the sim card). Just switch 3G off and use E - it will also save battery life - and you'll get far less dropped calls.

20. DigMe macrumors 6502

I agree.. this has been really annoying me. I don't think that it's happening on my wife's tilt. At least she hasn't said anything about it.

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I've been checking out some portuguese iPhone forums and I didn't find one single thread or complaint about dropped calls. Maybe it has to do with the carrier and not the phone?

22. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

This thread is slowly proving what I suspected all along - nobody has a clue as to what is causing this problem. It's painfully obvious that this is a major issue and Apple and AT&T seem to be burying their heads in the sand. Apple wants to blame AT&T's network and AT&T seems to be totally clueless.

Is there a website that we can get to post an article about this to try to get some traction? I'm sick of not being able to make calls, dropping calls and having calls go straight to voicemail. I'm also sick of trying to use Safari and noticing my iphone bouncing between Edge and 3G when I'm in an area that allegedly has strong 3G coverage. If the iphone is broken, just fix the d*mn thing already. If the iphones shipped with a bad chipset or antenna, do the right thing and issue a recall. If it is indeed the network, I know it's going to take some time to fix but at least let us know what's going on.