Dropped calls -> replaced phone -> no more!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avalys, Apr 10, 2008.

1. avalys macrumors 6502

I bought my phone the day it came out. I constantly had problems with it dropping calls, but I figured it was just AT&T's network (I had Verizon before). It got to the point where it was basically guaranteed to drop a call once every 15 minutes, and sometimes more often.

I suffered with this for 7 months, figuring the other features of the iPhone were worth the inconvenience, until I complained about it to a friend, who also had an iPhone. He got his the first week it was out as well. He looked at me funny, and says his rarely drops calls, if ever. We both live and work in the same area.

Hmm, I thought. So I took it to the Apple Store back in February, and they gave me a new one.

It's been a month or so, and the new phone hasn't dropped a single call. I'm happy now, but a little bit annoyed that I put up with it for so long...

Anyway, I have heard several people on here complain about dropped calls, so you may want to head down the store and try to get it exchanged...

2. jtskee macrumors newbie

poor reception

I thought I would share my experience with others...see the reply from apple after I posted this on one of their forums on "bad reception". Obviously they do not like honest feedback on their products
    My two cents on phone reception, the iphone as a phone is just terrible. In my 20+ years of owning mobile devices, I have never owned a phone that drops so many calls. In a typical day, the iphone will lose 5-10 calls. I am constantly phoning people back and apologizing for the iphone performance.

This is my third iphone (16 gb) in three weeks. The first one would not hold a charge. I returned my first one after three days, it took a week to get the replacement at the apple store. The second one dropped calls like crazy. I followed all of Apple’s and ATT’s the suggestions on improving signal strength and even restored the phone, no better reception. I removed the sim chip from the iphone and installed it into my old HTC TYTN...reception was fine, and the phone worked flawlessly. I went to the apple store and ordered a replacement, another 5 days went by, and they replaced it with a refurbished unit. What a crock. I never had a properly functioning device, 12 of my first 14 days were used waiting on replacements, and the third one has no better reception than the others.

It is clearly an iphone problem. The signal in my office will go from 5 bars to zero over a couple of minutes. I will connect a call, and in the middle of a sentence the call will drop. Yes I am in a good zone on the ATT map.

Disappointment is an understatement. The phone will not hold calls, ATT and Apple refuse to budge on their return policy. So, I have a $500 ipod, not a phone. Seems to me the device should perform its primary function best...but that is not the case. So my advice, pass on this device until the phone has been improved

apple reply
    Your post, "Re: Bad reception " was removed from the Apple forums as it does not follow the guidelines specified in our terms of use. These areas are intended to address technical issues about Apple products. Posts that do not conform to the Apple Discussions Use Agreement are inappropriate.

Reasons that your post was removed may include but are not limited to:

-Off topic or non-technical posts
    -Non-constructive rants or complaints

Please read our Apple Discussions Use Agreement so that you may discover what constitutes an appropriate post to our service. Section two, "Submissions," is most germane.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I've had my iPhone for over 9 months now.
    I've probably had 2 dropped calls in that whole time.

And unless you live in Alaska, I find it hard to believe that the Apple Store took your phone and made you wait a week for a refurb. Anyone I've ever heard of (including myself) has had their iPhone swapped out instantly when taken into the Apple Store.

4. jtskee macrumors newbie

poor reception

Hey Jbarker, if you had been watching the recent posts at macrumors or appleinsider you would know that there has been an unexplained shortage of the 16 gb iphone...look before you leap...i have no reason but to tell it how it is...and yes, it did take that long for apple to provide a replacement

5. bitchinmona macrumors newbie

Right, but see... the replacement iPhones aren't from the same stockpile as the ones for sale. They have completely different part numbers and so on. In fact, if a store were to issue a standard iPhone from the 'shelves' as a replacement, they'd take a loss.

Furthermore, each Apple Store is equipped with several 'loaner' iPhone units which can be used while a phone is being repaired.

Not saying that those points are incontrovertible proof that you didn't have to wait for your replacement unit, just that one point (the shortage) does not necessarily support or serve as evidence for the other point (long wait for replacement).

6. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

odd. i've never had reception or excessive dropped calls with mine.

7. mofolo macrumors newbie

i live in australia and i constantly had drop calls.

Now i get one every once or month or soo..

What i did was restore my 1.1.4 firmware

Opened the SIM tray and re-aligned the Sim card

and
    I make sure that my phone is always charged over 50%.

:) Good luck.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've had my iPhone since the first week of February and never had a dropped call. I know I haven't had it long but I can say for now that this phone has the best reception I've had on a mobile device. My previous phone was a Pearl and I had dropped calls-a-plenty before getting the iPhone and I haven't moved.
    If you're having problems with your iPhone reception, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume it's either your location or that particular piece of hardware. Seems kinda radical to blame the iPhone as a product.

9. guruji macrumors member

reception is really an issue. i have hard time hearing the person on the other end. i am not hard on hearing :)

bars issue is also real. bars will go from all to none, by themselves. i had to reboot my device once, it dint help, then i leave it like that for about 30 minutes, after that steve-jobs was happy and he let me make calls.