Dropped calls: why didn't Apple just move the gaps around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MSUSpartan, Jun 24, 2010.

1. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Why didn't Apple just designed the antenna so that the gaps are moved around a bit so you know, when people hold the phone normally doesn't result in dropped calls?

No, we're just holding the phone the wrong way. Not a designed flaw at all.

2. pflau macrumors 6502

They should've move the gap to the right side and make the left gap just for show.

3. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

It's 24% thinner, guys. I bet Apple just stuck it in the last spot they had room.

4. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

I don't have a problem with the notches...

I think it depends on how you hold the phone... right now, that notch (I guess the problem notch) seems to be in a bad place for people who hold the phone with their left hand. I don't normally hold the phone in such a way with my right hand (and I have large hands) that makes contact with the notch. Never have.

That being said, I think the notches would've been better off on the top and bottom of the phone if this is a hardware issue... however, several tech blogs suggest it to be a firmware issue.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

2 things come to mind:

1) To be effective, antennas are usually designed with the wavelenth they are intended to receive in mind. They are either the size or an exact fraction of that wavelength. (This is my very dated rudimentary understanding, so if I'm wrong please don't crucify me)

2) Design/Appeal - they knew the seams would bother people. One way to make sure it bothers people the least is to keep it symmetrical. So the 2 seams at the bottom need to be symmetical (they placed the 3rd in an area it wouldn't be as noticeable due to the headphone jack).