Dropped connection constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audreyclarke, Jul 6, 2009.

1. audreyclarke macrumors newbie

hi my mac is constantly dropping the internet connection, every few minutes.. I do not have this problem with my windows pc. but as i use the laptop more the problem is becoming unbearable. Can anyone offer as suggestion as to what could be causing this!

I have tried everything i can think of so far no luck
    Thanks
    Audrey

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Please provide more information. Which Mac? Wireless or wired?

3. audreyclarke thread starter macrumors newbie

4. audreyclarke thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry should have said it is a wireless connection

5. Adapsys macrumors member

Adapsys

When you say 'drops' connection. Is Airport actually losing the network connection or is the internet just dropping?

If it's the first then sounds like a faulty card.

If its the second, well this seems to be quite wide spread and happened to me. I fixed it my setting the location in the wireless settings and downloading the latest version of Java and Flash. I realise those things are not related to each other but couldn't say which one actually fixed the issue!

6. audreyclarke thread starter macrumors newbie

hi
    Sorry but a bit of a newbie, to this what is the difference between the airport and internet dropping .

Also how do i fix the location in wireless settings

Thanks again

7. sellitom macrumors member

sellitom

I had the same problem the first week or two I had my MBP 13". It has stopped "losing" the connection, however. (I know for certain my network was not going out as my iMac stayed connected) I would always option click on the network icon and select "connect to another network" and get back on my wireless network.

After doing this about 10-20 times, it has stayed connected ever since. Make sense?

8. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

This has been an ongoing issue with MBPs for years (there was a giganto 300+ post thread over on the apple board about this - it predates Leopard coming out). Plenty of blog posts all around the web on things to do to fix.

Mine was immune to it initially - then some wireless card driver firmware update was released late summer/early fall last year - it started dropping connection after anywhere from 2 hours to 30 seconds of use. Sometimes it was so bad I gave up and plugged in the ethernet.

I literally spent all told about 50-100 hours of my time (spread out over several months) trying to fix this. Even bought a new Atheros wireless card from China, by the time it arrived 10.5.6 had come out, which incidentally fixed it.

One thing I can recommend - don't look for advice here. I wasn't able to find much help. Hang out on the Apple board (flat out - the people there are far more technically inclined) + do an exhaustive google search.