Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audreyclarke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
hi my mac is constantly dropping the internet connection, every few minutes.. I do not have this problem with my windows pc. but as i use the laptop more the problem is becoming unbearable. Can anyone offer as suggestion as to what could be causing this!

I have tried everything i can think of so far no luck
Thanks
Audrey

Adapsys

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
When you say 'drops' connection. Is Airport actually losing the network connection or is the internet just dropping?

If it's the first then sounds like a faulty card.

If its the second, well this seems to be quite wide spread and happened to me. I fixed it my setting the location in the wireless settings and downloading the latest version of Java and Flash. I realise those things are not related to each other but couldn't say which one actually fixed the issue!

audreyclarke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
hi
Sorry but a bit of a newbie, to this what is the difference between the airport and internet dropping .

Also how do i fix the location in wireless settings

Thanks again

sellitom

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
TX
hi
Sorry but a bit of a newbie, to this what is the difference between the airport and internet dropping .

Also how do i fix the location in wireless settings

Thanks again

I had the same problem the first week or two I had my MBP 13". It has stopped "losing" the connection, however. (I know for certain my network was not going out as my iMac stayed connected) I would always option click on the network icon and select "connect to another network" and get back on my wireless network.

After doing this about 10-20 times, it has stayed connected ever since. Make sense?

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
This has been an ongoing issue with MBPs for years (there was a giganto 300+ post thread over on the apple board about this - it predates Leopard coming out). Plenty of blog posts all around the web on things to do to fix.

Mine was immune to it initially - then some wireless card driver firmware update was released late summer/early fall last year - it started dropping connection after anywhere from 2 hours to 30 seconds of use. Sometimes it was so bad I gave up and plugged in the ethernet.

I literally spent all told about 50-100 hours of my time (spread out over several months) trying to fix this. Even bought a new Atheros wireless card from China, by the time it arrived 10.5.6 had come out, which incidentally fixed it.

One thing I can recommend - don't look for advice here. I wasn't able to find much help. Hang out on the Apple board (flat out - the people there are far more technically inclined) + do an exhaustive google search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.