Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sceadugenga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Hastings, NE
Hello, this is my first post (long-time lurker), and I hope someone can help me. I recently dropped my MBP (mid-2007) and dented the corner with the magsafe power port. Now I can't get power to the machine, except from the battery (which won't last much longer). Everything else seems to be fine. What I wonder is if there is a repair I could do (I am not very savvy), a repair someone else could do that is not too expensive, or if this old machine is toast. I haven't found forum posts exactly addressing my issue, but I could have missed something. Any thoughts? Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're only option is to take to an apple authorized repair center. Something broke internally that is preventing your laptop to charge.

Bummers on dropping it though :(

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
There is some ambiguity here. Does the magsafe plug simply not fit due to a dent in the case (maybe you can just bend the case back and it'll work) or it fits and it doesn't charge (serious problem)?

Sceadugenga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Hastings, NE
The cord actually fits in the port, but I don't get any power to the machine.

Sounds like I should be looking for a replacement laptop, which is an exciting, but expensive prospect.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
rMBP FTW! :D

Yeah, if anything broke in your laptop, it would require a replacement logic board (usually around 50-60% of the laptop's original price) to fix.

Do you or an immediate family member have renter's/homeowner's insurance? Those policies usually cover accidental damage to your property.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.