Dropped & Dented MBP so no more power :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sceadugenga, Aug 15, 2012.

  1. Sceadugenga macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2012
    Hastings, NE
    Hello, this is my first post (long-time lurker), and I hope someone can help me. I recently dropped my MBP (mid-2007) and dented the corner with the magsafe power port. Now I can't get power to the machine, except from the battery (which won't last much longer). Everything else seems to be fine. What I wonder is if there is a repair I could do (I am not very savvy), a repair someone else could do that is not too expensive, or if this old machine is toast. I haven't found forum posts exactly addressing my issue, but I could have missed something. Any thoughts? Thanks!
  2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

    Jul 28, 2011
    That to me is a good excuse to buy a sexy new laptop! :D

    Doubt you're gonna get it repaired cheap anyway :/
  3. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I think you're only option is to take to an apple authorized repair center. Something broke internally that is preventing your laptop to charge.

    Bummers on dropping it though :(
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus


    Jul 24, 2002
    There is some ambiguity here. Does the magsafe plug simply not fit due to a dent in the case (maybe you can just bend the case back and it'll work) or it fits and it doesn't charge (serious problem)?
  5. Sceadugenga thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2012
    Hastings, NE
    The cord actually fits in the port, but I don't get any power to the machine.

    Sounds like I should be looking for a replacement laptop, which is an exciting, but expensive prospect.
  6. geoffreak macrumors 68020


    Feb 8, 2008
    rMBP FTW! :D

    Yeah, if anything broke in your laptop, it would require a replacement logic board (usually around 50-60% of the laptop's original price) to fix.

    Do you or an immediate family member have renter's/homeowner's insurance? Those policies usually cover accidental damage to your property.

Share This Page