Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I bought my MBA 4 weeks ago. I was all excited and immediately ran off the the Software Commons at the University of Toronto to get some discounted software. I then put the MBA in my knapsack and without realizing I hadn't zipped it up, I whipped around and out flew the laptop.
All dented (although it worked just fine). I was sick.
And this happened the very day after I took delivery of the MBA.

Anyway, both the bottom and top of the case were damaged. I took it to the UofT Computer Shop and they gave me a discounted price to repair it.
The total was $1175!!!!!
The top case only comes with the LCD screen--ie: you cannot purchase the case without the screen. So that came to $700 just for the top. The bottom aluminum shell was only about $170. Then there was 2-3 hours of labour and taxes.

I bought the MBA on a platinum VISA card (for exactly this reason). My home insurance said they would pay but I have a $500 deductable. The VISA insurance covered the $500 and my home he rest.

What a nuisance and a scare. I know own an Incase cover and am really careful with the machine.
I must admit, though, I was surprised at the amount of damage caused by the accident.

good luck.

At that price, I hope you got to keep the dented parts.

You could have sold that screen etc.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I don't lose any sleep at night for having a dent free macbook air.

Anyways, hope it works out for the best.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Unfortunately for you what you're doing is actually wrong. It is actually not the store's burden to prove as the store knows what a drop looks like. I don't give any credit to Apple store employees, but then again they're not retards. Clearly you have no idea what "burden of proof" means short of doing a quick google search.

I hope I never see you complain about Apple pricing because when you do this, you're directly contributing to higher prices due to theft. And yes, it is basically theft.

WTF are you talking about? Dents working themselves out have nothing to do with a "popping" noise.

Law is what I practice. I think I know a thing or two about merchant-consumer contracts. At least I hope so. :)

Secondly, to everyone complaining about pricing. Your points are moot considering other major retail chains and/or distribution companies share similar return policies. Furthermore, the price of a good is not heavily weighted on probability of returns, let alone defective returns. It is absurd to believe that my return or returns like mine is the direct cause of what some of you describe as "High prices" by Apple.

Jessica, I can only laugh at your libel, I am not a thief.

Irregardless, no reason to attack people on the forums. I have been treated very well by Apple and I would like to think I have treated them very well as well.

Good night! :)

dudup

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
(...) but now there's a little dent on the top casing behind the LED, or rather right on the outer casing bottom edge (edge underneath apple logo)... so its a nightmare cos it gets in the way of opening and closing it, so it clicks slightly. it seems pretty minor & cosmetic and doesn't look like serious structural damage. machine is working fine.

Dude, I know EXACTLY how you feel. See the crappy picture of mine attached.

I was completely mad about it, but since its a 1st gen, I got over it, because it already lost a ton of resell value since the last update. So I'm going to stick to this scarred babe until at least 3 revisions, I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 85

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Dude, I know EXACTLY how you feel. See the crappy picture of mine attached.

I was completely mad about it, but since its a 1st gen, I got over it, because it already lost a ton of resell value since the last update. So I'm going to stick to this scarred babe until at least 3 revisions, I believe.

Ouchie... I'm sorry about that, and I'm sorry to the OP also.

It's hard having precious items like these taking a hard hit.
But we've gotta realize it's not the end of the world.
If it didn't happen now, it could have happened sometime in the future.
Get the high hopes on, it matters what's on the inside, not the outside. ;)

dudup

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
There's an enormous potential for this on the MBA, because the inner side of the lowest corners of the display are completely empty.

It doesn't require a huge impact to bend it like this, since the back of the display is a thin aluminum sheet.

On the new MBs and MBPs, this does not happen, because that very same spot is filled by the front bezel of the screen.

I don't know if it's a design flaw, but definitely if it was an MB, it would bent like this, and now it's scratching the unibody.

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Lexington
Law is what I practice. I think I know a thing or two about merchant-consumer contracts. At least I hope so. :)

Irregardless, no reason to attack people on the forums. I have been treated very well by Apple and I would like to think I have treated them very well as well.

Good night! :)

I'm glad you practice law, but whatever firm allows you to practice would be appalled you used a mostly made up word "irregardless" to sound intelligent, while chiding jessica for libel.

It is an accepting forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but one must accept that not everyone is going to have the same opinion REGARDLESS if you know the law codes or not

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
If you bought it with-in 14 days, take it back and demand an exchange. Just claim that is how you got it when it was opened you were shocked/appalled. I had this happen to me once and I got it exchanged. They can't really call you out on it since it is within 14 days and it's their burden to prove...Law is what I practice. I think I know a thing or two about merchant-consumer contracts. At least I hope so. :)...Jessica, I can only laugh at your libel, I am not a thief.

All this said, I wouldn't further contend that you are a thief, but I would call into question your "ethics" thereby, hopefully you would lose some sleep over the way you conduct yourself with regards to the "advice" of returning the aforementioned property that was damaged by the purchaser and not the manufacturer or distributor.

Irregardless, no reason to attack people on the forums. I have been treated very well by Apple and I would like to think I have treated them very well as well. Good night! :)

What kind of attorney uses the word Irregardless in their rebuttal? Please tell me that you ONLY prepare legal documents for corporations! A litigator on my behalf, would NEVER happen...:eek:

carichard

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Corner Dent While In Padded Sleeve

My 2nd Gen Air was in its protective case, sitting on a chair at Starbucks when it fell to the floor. It hit right on the corner onto the hard floor and even with the padding it bent the corner of the top case down so that it interfered with the opening and closing of the screen.

I went home, got out the pliers and bent it back up. The corner looks distorted, but the computer is fully functional. FYI it was only 2 days old.

The trade off of having a light computer is that it's never going to have the strength of a Panasonic Toughbook. I'll take the light computer and take my chances.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I'm glad you practice law, but whatever firm allows you to practice would be appalled you used a mostly made up word "irregardless" to sound intelligent, while chiding jessica for libel.

It is an accepting forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but one must accept that not everyone is going to have the same opinion REGARDLESS if you know the law codes or not

I hate it when people get to post in front of me and then say what I was going to say but better.

EDIT: I guess I can add this: Wherever Ender supposedly practices law (if it is in the US) is governed by a code of ethics or a code of professional responsibility. Fraud of this type would most certainly be in breach of that code. Irregardless of his/her opinions to the contrary.

ZX81

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
All in all ...

Price of lightness is fragility ... and it's our choice to live with.

Should get more than one repair quote ... especially if the one you have seems exhorbitant.

Last but not least ...

Irrespective of anything of this thread, show me an ethical lawyer :rolleyes:

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
Law is what I practice.

I hope you practice law with more ethics than you display at your end of the merchant/consumer relationship.

Secondly, to everyone complaining about pricing. Your points are moot considering other major retail chains and/or distribution companies share similar return policies. Furthermore, the price of a good is not heavily weighted on probability of returns, let alone defective returns. It is absurd to believe that my return or returns like mine is the direct cause of what some of you describe as "High prices" by Apple.

Your fraudulent returns may not be the direct cause of "high prices" by Apple, but you are foolish to believe that fraud and other malicious loss are not factored into the pricing structure.

Jessica, I can only laugh at your libel, I am not a thief.

A thief, maybe not. A fraudulent liar, definitely. (In this example at least.)

Regardless of what you may "like to think", lying to, defrauding and taking advantage of a company is not a demonstration of having "treated them very well".

EnderTW, your post reminds me of a quote... "99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name". ;)

Off topic but since it's also been commented on in this thread, irregardless is generally considered incorrect. See http://www.reference.com/search?q=Irregardless

Regards,
m&c

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.