Dropped Frames and the spinning rainbow wheel

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rcvilla1122, Oct 5, 2010.

1. rcvilla1122 macrumors newbie

I am using FCP 6.06, I imported video from two different video camcorders: Canon GL-2 mini-dv and a Sony Digital 8 TRV340. Importing from both of these cameras went pretty well, i had some dropped frames while importing, nonetheless it went pretty well. However, when i drop any of the footage into the timeline and I press play, it will play for a few seconds, hang up (spinning wheel) and then gives me a window that says: RT extreme has determined that these were caused by slow disks, please try: Increasing the speed of your disks, Decreasing the number of RT layers, Limiting your RT bandwith. AS of now i currently use a 1 TB Western Digital "My Book" for my scratch disk. I have tried everything I can think of and I am working on a Wedding video. I really need to get things going, I would appreciate any kind of assistance. I have tried looking up similar threads but nothing seems to really help. Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. rcvilla1122 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dropped Frames and the spinning rainbow wheel Reply to Thread

Thanks so much for the response, I looked at my settings and I looked at the link. I think everything is cool there. However, in my trying to figure things out I thought I would copy a video clip to my hard drive scratch and start a new project using my HD as the scratch. The video clip was about 4 minutes long and about a gig of space. Upon trying to copy the file it began and after about 5 minutes of copying it had only copied about 90 mbs and was estimating that it would be another 45 minutes to finish copying. It seems awful weird that it would take this long. Perhaps I have a hardware problem?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What specific Mac do you have?

Maybe you use a USB 1.1 cable, which gives you only 1.5MB/s at maximum.

DV encoded video takes up 3.125MB/s for video, thus 12GB can be used up for 1 hour of DV encoded video.

Btw, MB is short for MegaByte, Mb is short for Megabit.
    Mbs can be interpreted as Megabit/s or Megabits and not as MegaBytes as you might have intended.
    The difference: 1MB = 8Mb.

5. rcvilla1122 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dropped Frames and the spinning rainbow wheel

Here are my specs: Power Mac G5 dual 2 ghz (late 2005) Mac OS X (10.5.8) 1 gig Ram 160 gig HD

I meant megabytes, sorry! I wasn't using a usb 1.1 cable, I was just copying a file from one drive to another.

Thanks

6. rcvilla1122 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention, I have a 1TB WD "My Book" that I use as a scratch disk