Dropped Frames in FCP 7

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by calviin, Oct 20, 2011.

1. calviin macrumors regular

I'm using Prores 422 LT and I'm getting the dropped frames warning every few min. I'm on a esata connection so I should be getting any at all. When I look at my disk activity, I'm barely 35 MB/s. Can anyone help me?

2. simsaladimbamba

What resolution do you use and what Mac do you use?
    And what are the playback settings?

3. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

2011 MBP 2.2 i7 Quad Core. Playback settings? And yea, it's 1080p but it's not even getting close to the limit of esata.

4. simsaladimbamba

[​IMG]

5. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

But what's the problem? never had this problem before... Do you think it's software or hardware issue right now?
    asdf.jpg

6. smokescreen76 macrumors member

I'd say the problem might be something to do with the multiclip video in there.

7. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So it's the clips themselves? Are they corrupted or something?

8. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Do your sequence settings match your source material? That could cause dropped frames as well.

9. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry. My knowledge of how to use FCP is very, very limited. I'm not sure what you mean. :confused: I'm still learning and I got a MBP just so I wouldn't get dropped frames anymore but this is really quite disappointing. I love how it only shows up after the return period though... :mad:

10. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Odds are, there's nothing wrong with your machine. What you have should chew through this kind of footage. Check your sequence settings by going to Sequence -> Settings in the menu bar. Make sure that the settings exactly match the footage you're using. If it doesn't, final cut will be trying to transpose each frame to the new format during playback.

An easy way to check the correct settings for your footage is to make a new sequence and immediately drag a piece of footage into the timeline. FCP will ask you if you want to change sequence settings to match the footage. You say yes, then check that sequence's settings.

11. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

12. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Your settings look fine. Doesn't look like that's your problem.

So it's not your settings, not your processor, not your throughput, not your format. Assuming your computer's hardware is working fine, the only thing left I can think of is bad software. If it keeps happening, you could try re-installing final cut.

13. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

Is your external hard disk almost full? Is there something with the disk (bad sectors)? Try copy some large blocks of data and see the speed, or use the aja or blackmagic speed test tools. Is the connecting cable corrupt? Try an other disk before reïnstalling the software.

14. smokescreen76 macrumors member

You do realise that you have some multiclip video in your sequence, right? Multiclip means that you computer is playing multiple streams at once.

15. cgbier macrumors 6502a

How much RAM? Even though FCP Classic is 32 bit, it helps to have more than 4GB RAM.
    Multiclip puts a lot of strain on your system. You running your edits from the internal drive?

16. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried on two external hard drives and both esata and firewire 800 cables. I'm doing the same type of work as a previous project and I've never had it occur this frequently. It would go for a few seconds to a min or so and give me the warning. While I'm playing the clip, the disk activity would hit around 30-35 MB/s. (I think those units are right.) But even with FW 800, I should be hitting at least 60 or so right? And yes, I know that multiclipping transfers a lot of memory but I did this with more than three clips before and didn't have a problem. I feel it's these multiclips specifically but I'm not sure why. Anyways, I'll just keep brute forcing it I guess. Thanks for the help everyone!

----------

I also have 8 gigs of ram.

17. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tried that yet but it seems "dangerous" to me since i'm a a middle of a project and I'm not sure what settings I would need to change back.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The odds of something bad happening are about the same as your computer randomly frying the next time you turn it on. If you are super cautious you can just move the files to your desktop and if something bad happens you just put them back.

Lethal

19. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. Still the same problem. Playing 1/2 of the frames helps but obviously, it's not as smooth.

20. smokescreen76 macrumors member

Trashing preferences isn't going to harm your project. It's like changing all the settings to factory defaults. If you've changed anything like window layouts or keyboard shortcuts then they will go. And your capture scratch and render directory will be reset. But it also resets your RT settings - which is a good thing for your specific problem.

I still am going to mention the Multiclip. Just because it has worked in the past doesn't mean it is going to work now. Multiclip is demanding on any computer. There are so many variables as to how the data is read that just knowing the datarate is not enough.

I have just been doing some multiclip editing today from a 4 disc (RAID 5) Firewire 800 drive and my media was also ProRes (LT). I had 4 streams of data and the only way I could get it to play was by lowering the playback quality to "Low". Even then I was getting the odd dropped frame.