Dropped Frames in Final Cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Stang68, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey everyone,

Recently, my Final Cut Pro 5 has been acting up. It has been dropping frames like crazy! Now, whenever I playback something on the sequence timeline, it is all choppy and it is almost impossible to edit with!

Can anyone help me out?!

Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is everything in the timeline rendered? Are you using a separate drive for all your media? How full is the HDD w/all your media on it?

Lethal

3. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yes, everthing on the timeline is rendered and I am using an external drive. Right now it has about 30gb out of 120 gb left. I also turned off the "unlimited rt" on the timeline. Any ideas?

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Are you using a particularly computationally intensive codec, or one whose data rate exceeds the transfer speed of your drive or interface?

5. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I dont believe so. I am just capturing it from my dvx100b. I am not doing anything special. Does that help?

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As long as it has been captured in DV you should be fine. Is your external drive Firewire or USB 2.0?

7. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Its firewire. Everything captures fine. Just when I press play in the sequence it is very choppy bc of dropped frames.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Do you have any other CPU-intensive processes running? Or other apps constantly accessing files on that drive? And are you sure you captured your clips in DV at the correct settings?

With a codec as low in system demands as DV you should not be seeing these sorts of problems, so something is wrong somewhere. It could be a bum drive, bum cable, or some other app interfering with the system's state enough that it's causing the large slowdowns you're seeing. It could also be an incorrectly configured project (a timeline in the wrong codec or something) so you've rendered to a much more computationally or disk-intensive codec than you meant to.