Dropped Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nosey313, Sep 5, 2008.

1. nosey313 macrumors member

Right now I have Road Runner cable internet, Motorola Surfboard SB5100 modem -> Netgear WGT624v2 router. For about a year, I will randomly loose wireless connection, & when I inspect the setup at my computer, sometimes the cable modem lights are blinking/out and sometimes they are solid. the question is whether or not replacing the 5yo router & 5yo modem will fix the issue or if this is a line issue. I'd say over a week, the uptime for the connection is 90-95%. I've been planning on replacing the router with an AE anyway, but I'm wondering what else you all think I might need to do to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If this happens, check to see if the ready light is flashing on the modem. I had a similar problem, and found out that there was some infrastructure problems between my town (and the two others nearby) and the source of our internet connection (about 20 miles away). The ready light flashing was an indicator that it was the connection. I had to have a tech come out to verify, and it was fixed a few day later.

TEG

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

You didn't say, but have you tried a reset yet? It would be a good starting point. You can at least say that has been tried if/when you contact technical support (Comcast?).

That being said, it sounds like it's upstream of the equipment you are using. Tech support will likely be involved to fix it. :(

4. nosey313 thread starter macrumors member

yep, I've tried resetting, unplugging all cables/replugging, etc. Just randomly happens.