iPad mini Dropped iPad Mini

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i dropped mine screen first on to hardwood floor from about 4.5 feet and it is perfectly fine. are iPads usually this tough or did i get lucky?

i have a full skinomi skin around it so that might have helped. still crazy that there isn't even a dent or any sign that it has been dropped.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Maybe a little of both. My wife dropped hers on our wood floor about a year ago. It had a back shell and Smartcover on it. There is a tiny chip in the glass and a hairline crack near the home button. Luckily it missed the screen and hasn't spread. The black bezel makes it almost unnoticeable.

I am guessing it is all about the angle and the amount of impact. Glad it worked out ok for you!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I watched mine bounce down ten stairs naked, onto the wood floor, bounce off the door, then down on its face. There is a huge dent in my floor and not a scratch on my ipad. Pretty amazed, and lucky.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
pure luck, especially when u are talking Ipad mini with thinner glass and more delicate body.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2012
Mine got dropped at around 5 feet from the ground (tile floor). The impact was on the upper right portion of the back of the iPad mini and not a single dent, crack on screen or internal hardware failures! The paint was chipped off but did not deform the chassis of the iPad.

I think its luck and tough design, I saw Apple drop testing iPads in one of their promotional videos and they seem to know their stuff.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
i dropped mine screen first on to hardwood floor from about 4.5 feet and it is perfectly fine. are iPads usually this tough or did i get lucky?

i have a full skinomi skin around it so that might have helped. still crazy that there isn't even a dent or any sign that it has been dropped.
My ipad mini survived a similar drop to yours last year. It made such a loud bang when it dropped I thought I'd had it but it's intact and didn't have a mark on it. I had it in a Belkin case. It was just a regular folio case.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I watched mine bounce down ten stairs naked, onto the wood floor, bounce off the door, then down on its face. There is a huge dent in my floor and not a scratch on my ipad. Pretty amazed, and lucky.
That would be terrible to watch, to just see it tumbling down the steps.