dropped iphone 3G - white screen, no visible cracks

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by janitz, Mar 8, 2010.

1. janitz macrumors newbie

I can really blame this one on the dog. Walking to my desk, phone in hand, excited puppy races along and bounces into me, phone goes flying. Lands face down.

Screen is white, and will sometimes flash grey lines when it seems the phone is trying to do something (like reboot). The music that was playing before the drop continued to play after. The touch screen does not seem to respond. The phone rings when people call me, and my alarm that I had set still went off. Itunes recognizes when my phone is plugged into my computer.

I've been doing research for a few hours trying to see if this is something I can fix - I opened it up to re-seat all the connections, and that didn't help (it didn't seem to make things worse either, at least). There are no visible cracks/breaks on the outside (I have not completely dismantled the inside to see from there).

Phone is a week past warranty, and I don't know that this would have been covered anyway. I'm prepared to fix it myself, as long as I have a good idea what I need to buy.

Should I be looking at an LCD replacement? A digitizer replacement? Something else? I've read conflicting things on this. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

3. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Agreed, I have fixed lots of these. Sorry for the bad news.

4. janitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Right thanks - but what exactly do I need to buy?

is it something like this at ebay what I'm after, or is that not enough/correct?

5. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

That's it but you need to take extreme care when replacing it - if you break a connector on the logic board, you are pretty much screwed.

6. janitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Picked up the part from ebay, and got a set of careful and patient hands to take care of it for me. Good as new!

Thanks for the help!

7. iFixYouri macrumors member

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

digitizer....why? he didnt say it broke!

9. iFixYouri macrumors member

The OP said it is not responding to touch.

Digitizer controls the touch feature. ;)

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

11. lovelydama macrumors newbie

Parts you used?

Janitz - I have the same problem. Can you please tell me what exact parts you purchased? I'm not scared to work on the phone, but I don't know what parts I would need. Thanks in advance. :)