dropped iphone 3GS and now i've got the dark screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by robindahlia789, Jul 12, 2009.

1. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

today while sitting at work my iphone slipped out of my hand. it wasn't even a two foot drop. i picked it up to see that the screen was still visible but very dark and only usable if held near lighti. i tried raising the brightness but nothing. i've tried restoring, restarting and nothing. what could be the problem? i don't see how a BRAND new phone can't withstand a small drop with a case on it. but the used Sk LX i bought lasted many drops, and a drop in the toilet and still worked well

any thoughts on it would be appreciated

Rob

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Sounds like the backlight lamp/circuitry broke with the drop.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Whatever it is, something like that shouldn't have happened from a drop. You should just take it back and get a replacement, since you've tried restoring. You didn't do a restore in DFU mode, but that still probably won't matter.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

LOL, are you serious? He dropped it, it isn't a failure caused by the manufacturer. You don't get a replacement for that. :rolleyes:

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hey, from what I've seen people return their iPhones on here, hers seemed like nothing compared to them. ;)

I normally wouldn't suggest what I did, but if there's no obvious damage to the outside, then I don't think just from a jarring fall that it should've stopped working.

Oh, and I believe he is a she. :)

6. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

is there any way to dig into the guts of the phone and fix the problem

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sure, but you could damage the phone further if you don't do it right. There are threads on here about how to do it.

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

It just chance how something hits when you drop it. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and have it repaired. Should get some sort of case to lessen the possible shock next time-improves you odds.

Good luck-maybe it won't be that costly.

9. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

maybe i'll just return it since it hasn't been 30 days.
    more important things to pay for anyway

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, if you want to try opening, the main thing is to make sure you don't pull the case away and damage the wiring inside and also that you don't crack the case or screen.

Hopefully, the Moral Police on here won't swamp you with messages about returning it. ;)

11. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

haha
    well noted, i'll look up how to repair it on the message boards or on ifixit:)

12. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

for the record
    i'm a dude hahaha
    named after my fathers late friend

13. eron macrumors 6502

Then the iPhone is probably the first phone that can't withstand a simple drop. All other phones I have withstood drops numerous times and never failed to work.

14. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Just go to an Apple Store and tell them the backlight is not working. No phone should break from a less than 2 foot height with/with out a case on it.