Dropped iPhone 4, cracked glass....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by asaad, Dec 28, 2011.

1. asaad macrumors member

I tried doing a search to find a good answer but couldn't come up with much. So my girlfriend's iPhone 4 fell out of her jacket pocket and the front panel is cracked. She took it into Apple and they told her that because the glass is glued on they could not repair it and she would have to purchase a replacement for $150. There is an iPhone repair place near us that said they would repair it for $99+tax. Is there a website where I could purchase the necessary parts and simply have them install it to save some money? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could check iFixit.com to see what they're selling the iPhone glass for.

3. asaad thread starter macrumors member

4. David.S macrumors newbie

5. wpotere Guest

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

The same thing happened to my dad.

He paid $112 to a local shop to replace the glass on his iPhone 4 when he dropped/cracked it.

Don't buy the part online and take it in. First, they may not even let you do that, second, if something malfunctioned they would obviously blame the internet part and not their workmanship, finally -- support your local shop. $100+tax isn't THAT much for a messup on a $600+ device. Just take it in and let them do it.

7. wpotere Guest

Yeah, but for 50 bucks more you can get one that wasn't tampered with. Before the price drop it was worth it, but not now. I would just take it in and get it swapped.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Why bother trying to save $20-30.
    Bring it to Apple and get an OEM replacement iphone.

9. birdhouse1575 macrumors newbie

Don't empty your wallet... they say it's glued, but it's not permanently stuck to it.

1. Get this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-F...placement-iPhone-4-4G-US-layout-/320756422319

2. Remove the front panel from iPhone.

3. Remove LCD from front panel.

4. Get a heat gun (preferred) or blow dryer to heat up the front panel that will soften the glue to make it easier to separate.

5. Separate the glass from the digitizer.

6. Carefully put strong glue around the edge of the glass and place back on the digitizer.

$5 versus $100 or $150.

^ THIS IS IF THE TOUCHSCREEN STILL FUNCTIONS.

10. wpotere Guest

Yeah, I tinkered with this and I am very handy with electronics and tools... Good luck if you try this.

11. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

Don't waste your time with 3rd party fixes. Just go to the Apple Store and pay the $162.41 total for a brand new phone.

If the phone is still under warranty and you have it fixed by someone other than Apple, you void the warranty. And if it's out of warranty, it's still good to go to the Apple Store because the swapped phone with come with a 90 day device warranty (no physical damage included)