Dropped iPhone 4 in water...Advice required

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by parajba, Sep 21, 2014.

  1. parajba macrumors 6502

    Apr 19, 2008
    Hi all,

    so I've done it, I accidentally dropped my iPhone 4 in the water. Managed to take it out after 4-5 seconds (an eternity).

    So, this is what I've done.

    1) Turned unit off IMMEDIATELY

    2) Removed excess water by shaking it and using a towel

    3) Removed backplate and battery

    4) Used a hair drier (on cool setting) to get rid of excess water for both battery and main unit - tilted unit in different angles to get inside as more air as possible. Remove excess water with cloth too

    5) Put battery back on (without backplate cover), turned unit on, iPhone worked :) but noticed that the metallic area around sides of the phone / nearly bottom of the phone got quite warm too quickly so switched it off straight again as I thought 'something isn't right'

    Is this because a. There was still water in the unit somewhere or b. You shouldn't turn the unit on without the backplate because it works as the antenna or c. both.

    6) Now I removed the battery again, main unit, battery and backplate are lying on a table to completely dry.


    a) I'll wait 24 hours then reassemble the unit/battery and see what happens.

    Anybody who would like to chime in with some useful advice...?

    PS: I was going to buy an IP6 (or IP6+) in the next few months, so I don't want to replace it right now...But at least it seems that the main circuit / battery haven't fried yet.

    PPS: Yes - before you ask...I dropped it in the loo.

    Thanks for your help.
  2. Blue4D2 macrumors newbie

    Sep 21, 2014
    Don't drop your phone in water.

    Advice delivered.
  3. icon57 macrumors newbie

    Aug 30, 2006
    ormond beach, florida
    Sit it in a ziplock bag filled with rice for 2 weeks
  4. parajba, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

    parajba thread starter macrumors 6502

    Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks for this magnificent advice, I should have thought so.

    Is this what they call sarcasm...?

    [EDIT] Just realised you joined in Sep and are already banned. You are clearly too good for this forum and are wasting your time here, I suggest you move onto greener pastures...

    Thanks icon57, I read a few posts about the rice trick, I just sealed it in a plastic bag filled with rice, fingers crossed. It's just so inconvenient because I potentially have to wait 4 weeks without phone now (should the rice trick not work).
  5. mukeshjaipur macrumors newbie

    Sep 23, 2014
  6. OldMacDonald1 macrumors member

    Sep 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I've heard that rice works to absorb any moisture. But unfortunately it wouldn't fix any damage that water can cause to the guts when it hits electricity :( As I learned while texting over the toilet. (That wasn't an iPhone though, if that makes a difference).

    Stick it in rice and wait it out. Hopefully it will be ok. Otherwise, you get a new phone :cool:
  7. parajba thread starter macrumors 6502

    Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks, yes was going to buy an IP6 anyway but was going to wait a month or two for the mess to calm down a bit...

    Thanks, it's been in a sealed bag with rice for 3 days now...how many days shall I wait?

    Just to be sure, I put both battery and mobile in the sealed bag with rice, will the rice absorb / damage the normal fluids contained in a lithium battery in addition to excess moisture???
  8. OldMacDonald1 macrumors member

    Sep 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It shouldn't if the protective case around the battery is not punctured.

    By the way, I've read up on this more and the faster you pulled out the battery after it fell in the water, the better your chances of saving the phone. Although your chances are still 50/50.
  9. stephaniegavin macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2014
    I second the rice trick. It worked for me last year when I dropped my iPhone 5s into the bathtub. The phone miraculously worked fine after covering it with rice in a plastic bag for about 24hrs. I also read at that time that some folks had success with using that product "Damp Rid" which is usually for mildew in closets.

Share This Page