dropped iphone 4 into a mudpuddle

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by glocke12, Mar 4, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Always thought it would never happen to me but it did. I was tired after a long day at work and put my phone in a sweater pocket that I knew it would probably fall out of, and thats exactly what happened. I opened up my car door to get out and it went right into a puddle of muddy water.

It was in there for only a couple of seconds but it was submersed.

Everything seems to work except the speaker. It seems to think there are headphones in when there are not. If I plug headphones in I am able to hear normally.

Is my phone toast?

If I take it back to the apple store can i get a replacement somehow without paying full price for the phone? It is also jailbroken, should i reset it?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You might get a refurb for $199.00. Heck you might get a free replacement, but I sure wouldn't count on it

I wouldn't reset it (not a good thing, when JB), but I would "Restore As New" if it will stay on long enough, which I doubt. You shouldn't have powered it up to begin with, but I suspect that since you have been playing around with it, the damage is already done.

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Well, it was already on when it fell into the puddle.

Anyway, I dried it off with a microfiber and after testing it turned it off and now have it sitting in some rice....

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I would leave it in a sealed container of rice for at least 48 hours. Check the rice periodically and change if necessary. It would be even better if the phone was disassembled or at least the glass was removed.