Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brittany0613

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Ok, so it seems it's always the tiny falls that do the most damage. I dropped my phone from like 2 feet off the ground and the screen glass SHATTERED. I have a minimal case on it to protect the edges since that's what has always hit when it fell. This time it landed flat smack on the screen. Now please, I beg you to spare me the Apple Care and "You should get a better case" lectures and simply help me with what I need help with... I obviously need to get my screen fixed. It seems from what I've found so far that replacing the whole screen/digitizer is what needs to happen since it takes an act of God to replace simply the front cracked glass. But here is my fear... That I'm going to get some P.O.S. screen that isn't going to be as good as what I had to begin with. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I should go to get a new screen?

Thanks!!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Ok, so it seems it's always the tiny falls that do the most damage. I dropped my phone from like 2 feet off the ground and the screen glass SHATTERED. I have a minimal case on it to protect the edges since that's what has always hit when it fell. This time it landed flat smack on the screen. Now please, I beg you to spare me the Apple Care and "You should get a better case" lectures and simply help me with what I need help with... I obviously need to get my screen fixed. It seems from what I've found so far that replacing the whole screen/digitizer is what needs to happen since it takes an act of God to replace simply the front cracked glass. But here is my fear... That I'm going to get some P.O.S. screen that isn't going to be as good as what I had to begin with. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I should go to get a new screen?

Thanks!!

Even without AppleCare Apple will swap the iPhone with a mint condition unit for something like $249 or $299. It's a lot less hassle than taking it to some janky third party repair shop or doing it yourself. Genuine screens and digitizers are extremely expensive right now. I would really advise against buying the part online.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Even without AppleCare Apple will swap the iPhone with a mint condition unit for something like $249 or $299. It's a lot less hassle than taking it to some janky third party repair shop or doing it yourself. Genuine screens and digitizers are extremely expensive right now. I would really advise against buying the part online.

It's $229 for out of warranty replacement. It's a pretty decent deal.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
It's $229 for out of warranty replacement. It's a pretty decent deal.

I agree.. The high quality iPhone 5 LCD Digitizer Assemblies are super expensive at this point in time. However, over the past few weeks they have dropped significantly in price, so it should become more affordable to do the repair in the coming weeks.

lylemo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
In-store screen replacement

A couple of days ago, Apple announced in-store screen replacement at its retail locations for $149. This can be purchased with or without AppleCare+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.