Dropped iPhone, DEAD. Advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xerenthar, Feb 18, 2009.

1. xerenthar macrumors 6502

It went black, briefly flashed white and cyan, has been black ever since. Can't reset, turn on/off, etc.

It still shows up and syncs in iTunes.

Anything I can do?

If I take it in, what's a good thing to say? I got a replacement once already when my ring/vibrate switch fell off, and the Genius yelled at me because it was real beat up. The white ones get that way without a case. Particularly, there's a big fault leading up from the docking port.

It's pretty beaten up now, although the particular drop did not cause a scratch.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You have no coverage of this damage. Taking it in would get you mock-apologetic looks and the insistence that you have to buy a new one.

It's not dead if it still syncs. You've damaged the buttons and the screen. The screen is a convoluted replacement, but it can be done.

3. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

try dropping it again(not as hard though), maybe it will shake things back into place

4. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

True.
    As horrid as it is to unleash any kind of violence on your tech, it does occasionally work.

My iPhone's vibration is dying and gets stuck all the time. the only thing that'll get it working again is a good wallop at the top of the screen! crazy right? Oh well, it works.
    Dan x

5. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

lol four20 i can't tell if your being serious :)

6. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

threw it off the empire state building, still broken

7. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

since when did a new iPhone cost $499? I thought even if you didn't get a free one they were $249?

8. KingHuds macrumors 6502

They have always cost that much, you only get the lower price because it is subsidized by the two year contract you sign, and you can't get another at the price unless you open up another line or upgrade a different line.

9. marksandvig macrumors regular

it's $299 for the genius bar for a 16gb.. $199 for a 8gb.. Highway robbery.. I just replaced my Glass + Digitizer for $35 on ebay.. it is very difficult tho.. I consider myself fairly skilled and it took around 2 hours total.

10. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

genius bar offered me 499

11. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Pay for a repair, or DIY. There are several sites that sell parts for iPhones. good luck :eek:

12. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

don't even know what's wrong.

i may try iResQ

13. marksandvig macrumors regular

Really? the guy at the apple store told me $300 since i had no water damage.. and i mean my screen was CRACKED.

14. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If you try a repair shop they'll probably be able to diagnose it.