Dropped iPhone in a puddle

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NickPerk, Jun 29, 2012.

1. NickPerk macrumors member

Hello,

With all the rain we have been having my iPhone slipped out of my pocket and fell into a pretty good size puddle. I picked it up and tried to save it by turning it off, but it vibrated and then shutdown instantly. Ok it got wet let's get the rice bag!

After 2 days of siting in rice it still doesn't work and isn't even picked up by the PC. So I assume it is EOL for the iPhone.

What I'm wondering about is my data... My warranty at BestBuy would replace it (I think / going to try), but if I give them my iPhone and they give me a new one what will happen with my data?

Also if it doesn't work out at BestBuy I'll pay the $200/fee from Apple, but same thing goes with them what will happen to my data?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope you have a recent backup on your itunes library so you can at least restore some of your data back.
    About what's on your iphone it will all be wiped when they refurbish your old dead iphone.

3. NickPerk thread starter macrumors member

Well it was rain water so really wasn't that dirty as we've had 1' of rain in my area when it happened.

4. Umbracron macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPhone 4 in the bathtub on one occasion and it stayed completely submerged for at least 5 seconds. Then I turned it off and tried to make sure it was dry but even without the rice trick it dried out eventually. I haven't had an issue with it and I am shocked by that. It didn't even turn the water damage indicator strips on the iPhone different colors either.

I'm sorry to hear that your iPhone is fragged. :(

5. rogerbarrett macrumors regular

it is difficult that best buy will claim your warranty. Because it is your fault not Best Buy. :)