Dropped iphone in green tea, trying to change battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dubina, May 7, 2012.

1. dubina macrumors member

My wife dropped her iphone in a glass of green tea. Now, it doesn't power on. I got a new battery and am ready to swap it in, but I have a problem.

Model is the iphone 4 model A 1387.

I have taken out the two star screws, no problem. I have tried to release the back panel per several video how tos. It should release up about 2 mm and then I should be able to lift off the back panel. Have tried, but no dice. The panel does not release. I tried to pry with a knife edge, but not too hard. No dice there, either, couldn't find much of a crack to get in.

Any ideas how to release the back panel in this situation?

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Why are you trying this repair yourself? You should take it to an authorized Apple technician. iPhones are a PITA to take apart/put back together. If you're adamant about this self-repair I'd look for some how-to videos online.

3. dubina thread starter macrumors member

@ \-\/-/

Why are you trying this repair yourself? You should take it to an authorized Apple technician. iPhones are a PITA to take apart/put back together.

If you're adamant about this self-repair I'd look for some how-to videos online.

I looked at some online videos and the battery swap looked like it would be easy to do. The only problem is that the rear panel doesn't pop up when I do the rear panel pop-up thing.

Re Ifixit.com video for iphone battery replacement.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

See, black tea, chi tea, etc would have been fine.

it HAD to be GREEN tea didn't it?

5. dubina thread starter macrumors member

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're making a big assumption it's just the battery.

7. dubina thread starter macrumors member

@aggie

Yes, I am.

It will cost me 30 bucks to fix the phone if the battery is the problem. The video shows the battery replaced in about ten minutes. I can easily follow those steps if I can get the back panel off.

I looked up a werb site that had hundreds of anectdotal cases of people dropping iphones in toilets, coke, tea, taking them swimming, all kinds of dumb stuff. Statistically, the repair that seemed to be most recommended and seemed to work most often was replacing the battery (with some clean-up inside the case for good measure). The pitch is that every iphone battery will eventually degrade in, say 18 months to two years...beyond its warranty period, so replacing the battery is no big deal. Same holds true for water damage, of course. No warranty after that. So my determination is to try to replace the battery.

But first, the back panel.

I am open to suggestions, of course. Use a hammer? Ha ha...but I was not amused.

8. BrassPro macrumors newbie

you need those tiny screw drivers, which you can probably get from ebay if you buy a fake back plate.

9. dubina thread starter macrumors member

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For years now that's what everyone thinks.
    I got my phone wet, now all I need to do its change the battery and everything will be ok.
    Wrong:)

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It sounds like you're not using iFixit or one of the other tutorials to do this. Anyway, if you're not, it may be too late, since you risk damaging other parts when you take it apart (most notably stripping ribbon #3). Good luck.

BTW, an out of warranty replacement is $199. Keep that in mind, if you find the battery didn't fix it.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually for the 4S its $199, all other previous models its $149.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh, so they've lowered it.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, some months back.
    Makes it more reasonable to people with older models to kick in $150 instead of $200 to get an out of warranty replacement.

15. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

For submersion damage I'd pay Apple to have it swapped vs throwing away good money on half assed DIY repairs that have little chance of working plus possible long term reliability issues.