Dropped Iphone in toilet. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rappytaffy1, Nov 5, 2009.

1. rappytaffy1 macrumors member

At work. Ok so I had the iphone in my hoodie pocket. Flushed the toilet and it fell out and dropped in the toilet. I fished it out quick and went to the hand dryer. I turned it off and left it for about 1 hour( on a table) before returning home from work and leaving it on the heat for around an hour.

The iphone screen now turns on but it will never go to the home screen. Its either a static apple logo or a connect to itunes logo. I tried to restore it but at the end of the restore process it say "an unexpected error occured and the iphone could not be restored"

The screen still works and I still have hope. Its unlocked and a first gen iphone. I just bought this thing for 200 bucks(used) and it worked fine. Im so sad right now becasue I worked so hard to buy this thing.

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

DON'T TURN IT ON AGAIN!!! TURN IT OFF!!!

Put it in a bag of rice for several days (3 min) and leave it off. The rice will help to pull the moisture out of it. After 3 or 4 days, give it a try. If it still doesn't work, you will have to buy a new one.

3. rappytaffy1 thread starter macrumors member

omg I have been turning it on like crazy(think it was dry) it still turns on but damn is it too late? Have I fried the cicuits? Its on right now acually. oh oh

4. dread macrumors 6502a

take it to the apple store pay $200 and they will give you a new one.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, you've probably ruined it. You should've done the rice trick after you fished it out of the toilet and you shouldn't have turned it on.

So, you're looking at the out of warranty replacement for $199, like the poster below your last post stated.

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

Don't think the OP will get the 199... It was a first gen phone, not a 3G/S.

7. rappytaffy1 thread starter macrumors member

It still turns on though. It seems like it works. I dont mind paying 200 if I can get a new one but ya its a first gen :(

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

Just turn it off and try the rice, it might work...

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Has nothing to do with it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=united_states&product=iphone

And OP, stop turning on the friggin' phone and do what you were told to do.

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

11. rappytaffy1 thread starter macrumors member

Ok well I get paid next friday. If it deosnt work by then Ill just get the out of warrently thing. Where do I do this. At an apple store?(i live in canada if that effects anything) or online. Its unlocked btw

12. rappytaffy1 thread starter macrumors member

I went to the apple store and he said there is no replacement they can offer even for 200 dollars. They said the phone are like 600 dollars and 200 is nothing. wtf. is this guy dumb or did I do something wrong

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Go back and ask to speak to another Genius and point them to the link I gave you. Or go to another store. You're eligible for OOW replacement.

14. rappytaffy1 thread starter macrumors member

Im not on a plan and the phone is unlocked. Does this effect anything(there is no way to find out if its unlocked unless hes able to turn it on and fix it)

isnt he going to be like are you on a plan? Ill say no and hell be like then this is unlokced. Doesnt it have to be unlocked to not be on a plan. Maybe im jsut freaking out. But ya. No problems? If not then Im leaving now

edit: In Canana too

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

You'll have to buy a new one. There is no out-of-warranty replacement offered for your phone as it was never officially sold in Canada.

16. rappytaffy1 thread starter macrumors member

17. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    My mother did that.
    Too bad.
    We tried Everything we could.
    Nothing works except money.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, you added the Canada stuff later and I forgot you were on the first gen.

Sooo, you might try to find the same deal you got before, where you paid $200 then for the phone that you dropped in the water?

19. boston44 macrumors 6502

2G iPhones are not that high now, $175-$225 on Craigslist and eBay. I just bought one mint 3 months old, an apple replacement, for $100.