Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rappytaffy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
At work. Ok so I had the iphone in my hoodie pocket. Flushed the toilet and it fell out and dropped in the toilet. I fished it out quick and went to the hand dryer. I turned it off and left it for about 1 hour( on a table) before returning home from work and leaving it on the heat for around an hour.

The iphone screen now turns on but it will never go to the home screen. Its either a static apple logo or a connect to itunes logo. I tried to restore it but at the end of the restore process it say "an unexpected error occured and the iphone could not be restored"

The screen still works and I still have hope. Its unlocked and a first gen iphone. I just bought this thing for 200 bucks(used) and it worked fine. Im so sad right now becasue I worked so hard to buy this thing.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
DON'T TURN IT ON AGAIN!!! TURN IT OFF!!!

Put it in a bag of rice for several days (3 min) and leave it off. The rice will help to pull the moisture out of it. After 3 or 4 days, give it a try. If it still doesn't work, you will have to buy a new one.

rappytaffy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
omg I have been turning it on like crazy(think it was dry) it still turns on but damn is it too late? Have I fried the cicuits? Its on right now acually. oh oh

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
take it to the apple store pay $200 and they will give you a new one.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
omg I have been turning it on like crazy(think it was dry) it still turns on but damn is it too late? Have I fried the cicuits? Its on right now acually. oh oh

Yes, you've probably ruined it. You should've done the rice trick after you fished it out of the toilet and you shouldn't have turned it on.

So, you're looking at the out of warranty replacement for $199, like the poster below your last post stated.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Don't think the OP will get the 199... It was a first gen phone, not a 3G/S.

rappytaffy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
It still turns on though. It seems like it works. I dont mind paying 200 if I can get a new one but ya its a first gen :(

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Don't think the OP will get the 199... It was a first gen phone, not a 3G/S.

Has nothing to do with it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=united_states&product=iphone

b. Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will replace your iPhone with a new or refurbished iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone 3GS Out-of-Warranty Service
16GB & 32GB $199

iPhone 3G Out-of-Warranty Service
8GB & 16GB $199
Original iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service
4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199

*All fees are in US dollars and exclude applicable taxes

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. Replacement phones have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

And OP, stop turning on the friggin' phone and do what you were told to do.

rappytaffy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Ok well I get paid next friday. If it deosnt work by then Ill just get the out of warrently thing. Where do I do this. At an apple store?(i live in canada if that effects anything) or online. Its unlocked btw

rappytaffy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I went to the apple store and he said there is no replacement they can offer even for 200 dollars. They said the phone are like 600 dollars and 200 is nothing. wtf. is this guy dumb or did I do something wrong

rappytaffy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Go back and ask to speak to another Genius and point them to the link I gave you. Or go to another store. You're eligible for OOW replacement.

Im not on a plan and the phone is unlocked. Does this effect anything(there is no way to find out if its unlocked unless hes able to turn it on and fix it)

isnt he going to be like are you on a plan? Ill say no and hell be like then this is unlokced. Doesnt it have to be unlocked to not be on a plan. Maybe im jsut freaking out. But ya. No problems? If not then Im leaving now

edit: In Canana too

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I went to the apple store and he said there is no replacement they can offer even for 200 dollars. They said the phone are like 600 dollars and 200 is nothing. wtf. is this guy dumb or did I do something wrong
You'll have to buy a new one. There is no out-of-warranty replacement offered for your phone as it was never officially sold in Canada.

boston44

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2009
2G iPhones are not that high now, $175-$225 on Craigslist and eBay. I just bought one mint 3 months old, an apple replacement, for $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.