Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oemenia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
The prices for replacements vary quite a lot on eBay, some as low as about £3 though the ones that are branded as 'genuine' start at £8. How can i tell which ones are worth buying?

I dropped my iPhone in water, the phone works perfectly but the back camera doesnt. Occasionally the LED and front camera work though. Im also thinking its only the devices and NOT the connectors that are damaged as i heard crackling noises from the back camera area when it was first wet (there were bubbles also in the back camera lense which i tried out using the rice trick).

KennySmith

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
The prices for replacements vary quite a lot on eBay, some as low as about £3 though the ones that are branded as 'genuine' start at £8. How can i tell which ones are worth buying?

I dropped my iPhone in water, the phone works perfectly but the back camera doesnt. Occasionally the LED and front camera work though. Im also thinking its only the devices and NOT the connectors that are damaged as i heard crackling noises from the back camera area when it was first wet (there were bubbles also in the back camera lense which i tried out using the rice trick).

Dont trust these people saying these are genuine parts.. no such thing... dont think Apple or foxconn will sell their parts to the public...all of them are knockoffs!!!

Oemenia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Dont trust these people saying these are genuine parts.. no such thing... dont think Apple or foxconn will sell their parts to the public...all of them are knockoffs!!!
Yeah I doubt they are real, though iFixDirect are a reputable dealer and say they sell real parts.

Regardless just how good are the fakes?

KennySmith

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
Yeah I doubt they are real, though iFixDirect are a reputable dealer and say they sell real parts.

Regardless just how good are the fakes?

if I were you, I would go to a local repair shop who offers at least 30day warranty. Repair looks easy, but when you really get into it, another story:eek:

good luck man

Oemenia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
if I were you, I would go to a local repair shop who offers at least 30day warranty. Repair looks easy, but when you really get into it, another story:eek:

good luck man
Ah okay, never knew that they are harder to pull off though im not completely new to opening electronics up but ive never done anything too complex.

I managed to look at reviews of replacement cameras and they are indeed not as good as the real deals.

Are there any reputable sites that do sell the originals?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.