Dropped iPhone! Plastic scratched up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rlkv011, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Rlkv011 macrumors regular

Hi,

I dropped my white iphone 3g on the pavement today. Figures the one time I dont have a case on my phone I drop it. Anyways, there are 2 small chips that I dont really care about but on the top left by the power button there is a small chunk taken out with a few dark spots in the chunk. Is there a way to replace the back plastic piece? I cant imagine it being that expensive if you do it yourself.

I had an appointment for a genius to look at my iphone for battery issue and was hoping that they would give me a new one. Would me dropping it ruin my chances of getting a replacement phone? Also, I heard that you are able to exchange your phone at the AT&T store for a different color would the damage prevent me from exchanging it.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

When you give it to them, don't point out the damage. Just stick to the battery issue.

I think the worst that can happen is they charge you a restocking fee since it's damaged.

3. Rlkv011 thread starter macrumors regular

My appointment is tomorrow, I was thinking of covering the dark spot with some white out and keeping it in my white agent 18 case. If they don't give me a new phone I was thinking of exchanging it for a new one at the AT&T store.

4. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Yes they look for damage to the phone. When I exchanged mine they did that to make sure it wasnt a result to physical abuse. If you dropped it more then likely they will send it in for repairs. Your best bet is to try at AT&T and see what they say. You may get lucky at apple though.

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I had the LG Vu for half a month and i dropped it numerous times. All corners of it had scratches.

I returned it to an ATT store and they accepted it with no restocking fee or anything. I didn't see the CSR check for damage at all.

So it may be easier at an ATT store.

6. cohenspire macrumors member

Apple will check it, but you might get lucky and they will realize the battery issue is not a result of you dropping it after you reported the issue (made your appointment). I do know they will inspect it real hard though, i took mine in after having it a few days with the microscopic crack issue in the plastic. They brought out a magnifying glass and were inspecting it all over for signs of dropping, even though you could clearly see it had not been dropped.

7. Rlkv011 thread starter macrumors regular

Do I have to go through the whole activation process again, if they replace it at the genius bar? Do they even have units for replacement?

8. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I smashed mine skateboarding, and the Genius Bar gave me a new one because it had some other issues.