iPhone XS Max Dropped iPhone XS Max down the toilet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatiPhoneKid, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

I was using my iPhone XS Max today, walking in to the toilet, my phone fell down the toilet, I pulled my iPhone out and dried it but I kind of don’t want to use it because I feel like it’s not clean, if I put some soap or use wet wipes would this harm the oleophobic coating? Thank you, this is the first time this has ever happened to me any help would be appreciated

And for anyone who says “I thought you had the iPhone XR” yes I do have the iPhone XR as well

2. scottcampbell macrumors regular

A short trip down your post history turned out to be pretty fun. :)

Let me get this straight; you own both XR and XS Max?

Your iPhone already survived a deadly encounter with a spider, so I think it should be able to withstand any abuse from the toilet.

3. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes need 2 phones so I wanted the Xs max as my default phone and Xr as work/other phone although my Xr is my favourite. The Xs Max seems to be working fine, no scratches just concerned if I decide to clean the screen with soap or wet wipe would this be safe or could it destroy the oleophobic coating? Thanks

4. scottcampbell macrumors regular

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207123

5. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. UKapple73 macrumors regular

You know when Apple said they tested the XS with lots of different liquids.....wonder if urine was one of them ......

7. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

Go swimming with it in a swimming pool. Pools have enough chlorine to kill an elephant. And swimming pool damage would likely be covered by warranty/Apple care. Good luck sir!

Cheers, Azy

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

If you take it to the Apple Store they will label it a biohazard and shut down the entire block.

That'd be fun.

9. mollyc macrumors 68000

10. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could the chemicals in the toilet have caused the oleophobic to be damaged? I know Apple advised against doing so but I was kinda grossed out by using my phone so putting a tiny bit of hand soap on the phone and cleaned it, the phone is functioning perfectly just wondering if the soap could caused the oleophobic coating to be damage, but it doesn’t bother me too much, but would like to know. Thanks

That looks so cool, think I might get myself one, thanks!

11. fred98tj macrumors 6502

Water damage is NOT covered by the Apple warranty (maybe AppleCare ofnsomeone has that). :p

12. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

What kind of chemicals are in your toilet??

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Maybe since the spider injected it with poison, then with a mixture of bathroom toilet chemicals, it will turn your iPhone into a super iPhone with super powers? I watched the Spider man series, so it's possible!

14. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Maybe the spider really was a super hero like AntMan, and even though it looked like a normal spider, it had the weight of a full grown man, so you had a man-body standing on your phone ... it was the weight of the thing that caused the little scratch.

15. tl01 macrumors 68020

My max, my 8, my kid’s XR and my kid’s 8 get wiped off with alcohol everyday. Phones are gross. I have a screen protector so I don’t care about the coating. I have also washed my max with a tiny bit of soap. No issues.

16. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I would clean the phone with 91% alcohol. That's methanol, not ethanol. I personally would wash it off with warm water after and then clean it again with rubbing alcohol.

17. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

If a spider scratched your phone, I can't imagine what porcelain+water will do.

18. GrumpyMom, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

:eek:Oh so THAT is the infamous spider thread I’ve heard referenced so often! I missed that one. :confused:

Oh well @ThatiPhoneKid Mr. Hanky advises nice circular strokes with a soft microfiber cloth after you do a light wipedown with some isopropyl alcohol.

D028A479-B5B0-4733-8365-F08FE6D19978.gif

I’ve not yet had it damage my displays but I haven’t tried it on any of the new X series phones. My XS Max that I briefly owned had a very odd sticky coating like it hadn’t cured properly.

19. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Think about all the tiny poooo still left. Like a tiny spec. You can’t see it unless it’s through a microscope. The germs. Yucky yucky germs. Each time you text or make a phone call....

20. DJ_Smith macrumors regular

DJ_Smith

Right ^^ above.

@ThatiPhoneKid you don’t wanna bring it near your mouth or nose it gonna smell gross. Get rid of that phone.

21. fred98tj macrumors 6502

What a bunch of woosy germaphobics.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    :) ;) :p

22. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

They say urine is salty, if it is same as sea water, then it is bad. :)

Sea water destroys any water resistant phone, because it damages rubber gaskets, so I’ve heard.

23. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Surely if it fell down there before you used the toilet it just fell into water!

24. Wyckham macrumors regular

Wow thats a bit much, any of them have asthma ?

25. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

i think harsh solvents will probably harm the oleophobic coating but at this point that should be the least of your worries. Just slap a screen protector on it after cleaning it and you'll have a cheap oleophobic coating for a month or so. Then you can just keep switching out screen protectors.