iPhone XS Max Dropped IPhone XS max

KevinRightWing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
My wife dropped her IPhone XS Max and the back now has cracks and on the OLED screen there is a line of dead pixels. I don’t have applecare. When I take this to Apple, what will it cost for me to get this repaired?

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Usual suggestions in this situation are domestic insurance or cover via credit card purchase ?

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Brutal. She had a real good case on it too. Thanks guys.
Assuming that it was a 64GB $1099 is the replacement price in my opinion it’s worth the $599 price. You will get a white box replacement they are excellent devices. I crushed my Max a Month ago doing crunches at the health club and I am using a white box device.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Once the back is damaged the iPhone is a total loss. $599 is the repair cost.
If the glass back is damaged, Apple can technically replace that, it would just be dependent if the owner wants to spend that money or not.

Repairs related to “other damage,” like a shattered glass back, cost $399 on the iPhone XR versus $549 on the XS and $599 on the XS Max.”

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/10/22/18009452/apple-iphone-xr-phone-repair-screen-accidental-damage-cost

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
If the glass back is damaged, Apple can technically replace that, it would just be dependent if the owner wants to spend that money or not.

Repairs related to “other damage,” like a shattered glass back, cost $399 on the iPhone XR versus $549 on the XS and $599 on the XS Max.”

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/10/22/18009452/apple-iphone-xr-phone-repair-screen-accidental-damage-cost
They won’t replace it. Rear glass damage requires replacement of the entire unit hence the $599 cost

Reactions: ZebraDude

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
They won’t replace it. Rear glass damage requires replacement of the entire unit hence the $599 cost
This isn’t entirely accurate (Other than what Apple states). I don’t recall the exact thread(s), other members did have Apple replace the glass back for them, but I believe it also depends on the severity of the crack, or if it’s completely shattered altogether. Unless other stores have treated the situation differently, but it’s definitely been replaced in the past, unless they altered how do things moving forward.

Last edited:

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
This isn’t entirely accurate (Other than what Apple states). I don’t recall the exact thread(s), other members did have Apple replace the glass back for them, but I believe it also depends on the severity of the crack, or if it’s completely shattered altogether. Unless other stores have treated the situation differently, but it’s definitely been replaced in the past, unless they altered how do things moving forward.

No, they don’t replace the rear glass and I’m 100% sure about that.

Replacing the rear glass is an insanely difficult process which Apple does not do. And it wouldn’t make any sense to charge the same device replacement flat fee to replace just the glass back. Who on earth would take that option?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
No, they don’t replace the rear glass and I’m 100% sure about that.

Replacing the rear glass is an insanely difficult process which Apple does not do. And it wouldn’t make any sense to charge the same device replacement flat fee to replace just the glass back. Who on earth would take that option?
I can’t attest personally to having the glass back shattered, but nor can I find those threads that others had stated that Apple did replace the glass back for them only. Not that I don’t disagree with you, but other members explicitly stated that the glass back was replaced by Apple, and I remember one member specifically stated something that if it was a minor crack, it was feasible, but if it was shattered, they wouldn’t replace it. Either way, I did research where someone else mentioned that Apple will not replace the glass back, likely due time consumption as well.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
I can’t attest personally to having the glass back shattered, but nor can I find those threads that others had stated that Apple did replace the glass back for them only. Not that I don’t disagree with you, but other members explicitly stated that the glass back was replaced by Apple, and I remember one member specifically stated something that if it was a minor crack, it was feasible, but if it was shattered, they wouldn’t replace it. Either way, I did research where someone else mentioned that Apple will not replace the glass back, likely due time consumption as well.
You might have read that Apple will replace a screen with a single hairline crack and no visible point of impact for free under warranty.

The rear glass is literally welded and glued to the case. Incredibly difficult to replace