Dropped iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unixfool, Sep 26, 2008.

1. unixfool macrumors 6502a

2. Inukami macrumors 6502

Is it just the glass screen thats broken? If so you can check out ebay, they sell manufactured 3G iPhone screens for like $50. Only thing is you have to take the iphone apart yourself and install the screen.

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

Does the touch screen work? if it does it will save you $200 in repairs

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

You guys act like this is as simple as replacing ram on a computer

It's not an easy fix

If you can afford it, try to see if you can get it replaced for $200 at an apple store.

Only when that fails would I try the potentially risky DIY

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Ouch... I would take it to the Apple Store and get that 16GB back online. :eek:

6. DigMe macrumors 6502

How high did you drop it from and onto what kind of surface? Was it propelled or just dropped? Just curious.

7. reliantj macrumors 6502

8. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

tell them you didnt drop it, it just exploded in your face and got really hot. These things happen with the 3g

jj they will never believe you

9. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

It's risky if you have no clue about electronics. Otherwise, for anyone with any kind of experience they should be fine.

It's not like replacing ram in a computer, but it is like changing your own spark plugs in a car.

10. unixfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was doing my morning commute. I was trying to make a call and was also jabbering with my son. I put it in my lap and forgot about it. When I got out of the truck, it went out with me and landed face down on concrete. My truck is a Dodge Ram 4x4, so it is pretty high (high enough to where I need to grab onto the interior handle to get inside).

I took it in to a Best Buy, where I bought it from. They have insurance that covers accidentals (and it is NOT cheap, but I figured I'd use it for a month or two since I knew the iPhone was more fragile than most phones). They replaced it, and my fee was a prorated charge of $7, since I hadn't owned it for almost 3 weeks. The accidental insurance is $14.99/mo. It took them an hour and a half to replace it, though...I don't wanna go through that again.

I had it in a half case, a Griffin Elan, I believe. That case is cheap as hell and is more like a hoster w/clip. It will protect the back and lower back corners, but not the front. It came off my belt twice. I now have a DIO leather hoster that will protect the unit quite a bit better than before, although I want something more rugged. I also need to take the phone out of the DIO case in order to use it (unless I'm listening to music or have my BT headset enabled. I'll most likely get something a bit better from Incase.

I almost debated switching to a more durable phone. I've NEVER had anything that shattered so easily and I've quite a few PDAs (that have been dropped. I've dropped my e62 Nokia several times at the exact same spot as where I dropped the iPhone, but it is still kicking. I've a Sharp Zaurus that I've dropped multiple times (but it has an expensive case).

I will make it priority #1 to get some armor ASAP!

BTW, the tech guy cut his hand on the glass. I'd used it like 3 times with it to my ear...was rolling the dice on whether it'd cut my ear.

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I wish I'd taken pictures of my iPhone when its screen smashed. Whole screen was decimated.

12. Nukey macrumors member

That's such a common way to drop things. Whenever I put something on my lap in the car it usually ends up on the ground. I've stopped doing it :p

13. unixfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah. The pic shows the phone on the tech's desk. When he gave me the new phone, I immediately took a pic of the old phone. The tech thought it was funny. I'd have used the Macbook at work to take a pic but ran out of time.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know thats how i ALWAYS drop my phone

15. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

That is expensive for insurance. I pay 30 a year on my homeowners insurance for mine. It covers everything. Glad you got it replaced.

16. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

the iPhone breaks so easily because it's glass.

All your PDA's prior were made of plastic, which as you know is much more durable to drops than say an all glass screen. Those have a tendency to shatter.

17. pintnight macrumors 6502

Something like this? That what happened when I dropped mine on June, Friday the 13th.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. unixfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ummm. Most PDAs are made of the same materials as the iPhone. The difference is that the iPhone uses a higher percentage of glass. The way you state things, you're saying that all PDAs are 100% plastic and all iPhones are 100% glass. There are PDAs out there that have almost as much, if not more, glass than this phone. Those PDAs also have strength built into the corners of the casing, especially around the screens. In the end, the main difference is that a PDA has less of a chance in breaking, since most are designed with an ocassional drop in mind.

I believe fungun has some rightness in this also. In comparing cases of my PDAs against my iPhone, it is apparent that the iPhone case will NOT support protecting anything inside of it (the rounded and non-robust corners and edges). Looking at the above pics, it looks like the initial impact was on the left side of the case, as the frame has some impact marks.

19. reliantj macrumors 6502

no wonder =/

20. robenwzrdhat macrumors newbie

Omg please elaborate? My touch screen still works, just the top part doesn't function (where the menu bars are all located). It works for things like returning to my playlists in iPod mode, but it won't install Cydia (clamydia) packages because the "confirm" button is too high for it. Is it fixable w/o having to pay 200 bucks or going on ebay and buying a whole "lcd, digitizer, yoursoul" package. Please help, guys?
    Btw, it's a 2g iPhone. The 3Gs don't feel quite as comfy in my hand and I live in BFE now where there is no 3G. It's sad, I miss Vegas -_-

Perhaps something like this? : :apple:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OEM-For-Apple-iPhone-Outer-Screen-Glass-Display_W0QQitemZ270280449914QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270280449914&_trkparms=72:1205|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

See pics below

Attached Files:

21. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

you and me both mate :(

22. Kyle Appleseed macrumors member

I dropped my iPhone also on Friday. Took it to the Genius Bar and they told me it's $299 to fix. Which is really just them handing me a new phone and switching sim cards. It sucks.

23. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Is this true?

If you want to get a new iPhone 3G or need a new iPhone 3G, can you just switch your activated SIM card and it will work? No need to go through the activation process again?

The reason I ask, is that I am SICK of my White iPhone and I want the Black one. I have looked around on eBay and I could easily see my White one for enough to buy a brand new Black one. I just want to make sure that the process is really that simple.

24. Kyle Appleseed macrumors member

I'm not sure. That's what the Apple employee told me in store.

25. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

did they mention anything about paying the At&t activation fee again? I am sure At&t would waive this fee though....