Dropped Ipod on 11' Air 2013 Screen :(:( HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by johnjey, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjey macrumors regular

Today has to be the worst day in the mankind ever.

I dropped Ipod Touch on my 11' 2013 model Air Screen (Paid a whooping 1650$) for this machine and now there's a super-annoying HAIRLINE scratch mark (well above a 3 cm hairline: please look at image and zoom on the right side on the white background and take a look just below the light on black background)

Questions:

1. Since i bought this 11' air in June 2013, i am covered under the standard 1 year warranty - what shall i tell Apple to convince them to replace my 11' air screen for FREE?

2. I am broke and not looking to spend on ifixit or any other 3rd party to get it fixed (not sure if it's a super-cheap option to replace the whole screen)?

3. This may sound stupid, but i think the only way to remove this scratched/broken screen because of iPod drop is to have the WHOLE SCREEN replaced? Or can that portion itself be repaired in some way? I think it's the whole screen that needs to be replaced

Thank you all for your valuable time and inputs on my situation.

PS: Apart from this issue, air is in pristine condition

Attached Files:

2. stayley macrumors member

You broke it, so I don't really see why Apple would replace it for free. Applecare is not insurance for being careless.

Still, you might give it a go, I've seen people on this board getting such stuff fixed.

I'm pretty sure you need the whole screen replaced as well.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Apple will only replace this at their discretion...If you want my honest advice I would tell them the truth...don't try and con something out of them...they may be sympathetic and fix it for you.
    It's also worth checking your household insurance for accidental damage cover....I know ours covers this type of accident.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The whole screen would need to be replaced if you can't live with it. As you broke it then Apple would not be obliged to replace it for free.

As said above, just tell them the truth. If you lie then what incentive do they have to help you?

5. johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

What I have seen other people do in such situation is tell apple that it appeared by itself and is not something that happened accidentally

But my concern is that as they investigate for how it happened by itself - then I am not sure how they will be satisfied ? Because in those situations - either the keyboard has to brush against the screen or something - please advise as honesty may slap me with a 300$ + amount for a new screen

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

It's damaged and it's absolutely clear that it's your fault. As I said above, just tell them the truth and see what they say. It would be very clear you would be lying if you told them it just appeared, so what incentive would they have to help you?

7. mangotears macrumors member

It's clearly your fault. Just suck it up and pay for a new screen like I did.

Maybe this will make you feel better about your "super annoying 3-inch hairline scratch on the bottom right corner of your screen". This happened after I dropped something on my screen. The blue-liquid continued to spread internally like a cancer

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.