Dropped macbook battery problems with new battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bmjor, Dec 22, 2010.

1. bmjor macrumors newbie

Black macbook.

My battery needed replacing for a couple of months before i dropped it from about knee level onto a sidewalk.

After the drop I got the not charging icon. I thought maybe the battery had just finally died. so I did not panic about the no charge.

The laptop works fine when plugged in to power with the old battery on or no battery at all. Not at all when unplugged.

When I put the brand new battery on the lap top, the computer shuts down halfway through boot up.

I tried holding the power button down through boot up reset, as well as removing all power (plug and battery) and holding down the power button for 10 seconds reset.

I am sure this means I have a trip to the apple store in my future, but I am looking for any suggestions or possible solutions before I go.

Thanks

Brian

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

Note the sections on CALIBRATION and CHARGING.

3. bmjor thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing there that helped. Thanks anyway.

Brian

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If resetting SMC didn't help, it sounds like a trip to Apple.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Not likely, but the new battery could be bad. Test both batteries in another macbook for charging and starting abilities.

6. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Now here's a thought...does it matter what type of battery you put in there? Since you're most likely putting in a brand new battery, much newer than 2007, something about the way the battery "communicates" with your computer may cause it to malfunction? just a thought