Dropped Macbook now wants to eject (no) disc??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cheeryble, May 29, 2009.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Hi there

yesterday a dog got himself wrapped up in the power lead and sadly the magnet didn't do it's thing and the Macbook hit the (concrete) deck.

I was pretty concerned as I have lost a couple fo HDs in the past I think due to this cause when the HD arm wasn't parked.

Well the Macbook still works, and I hope it continues to do so.
    When I wake it up though, it makes that sound like ejecting (or drawing in?) a CD. Then seems OK.

Why oh why??

Cheeryble

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why? Because it took a spill and now it is most likely damaged (inside). I would take it into Apple and see what is wrong then take the eBay/iFixit route to repair yourself since the damage won't be covered under warranty and it'll be cheaper to try to do it yourself.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh that bites, I feel for you man.

Any physical damage to the unit?

You may want to look into replacing the optical drive.

4. fpar macrumors regular

Im sot sure if i misunderstood, but every mac i have ever owned made a noise upon waking from sleep. Could you post recording of the sound? Thanks

5. Khqai macrumors newbie

If I'm not mistaken, don't all MacBooks make a noise like it's ejecting a disc on startup? Mine does. And if you have a disc stuck inside and won't respond to the eject button, the disc will be ejected when you startup.

Mine makes that sound all the time.

6. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly why I was here asking here about.....

Amazingly everything seems to be working!

I thought there must be a problem but just got time to check it......it's definitely the ejection sound.....happens twice......and am just kind of interested about the cause.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Mine does too. I don't think this is abnormal.

OP- what kind of MacBook is it? I have a black one I've dropped 4 times and it's fine. My old iBook G4 got dropped 9 times- everything was still functional.

8. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

It's a black one nearly 3yo.
    it has also been dropped a few times but as I say 2 HD replacements and a lot of lost stuff MAY have been because oif the drops although one HD was replaced as there was a bad bunch of Seagate Chinese ones acknowledged as a free repair...... and I don't forget Time Machine now.

It may just be the way the arm bends when it is dropped and which way it is dropped. The arm hitting the disc couldn't help I guess. I'm not sure how often the arm is parked safe not only when it is asleep I'm sure, perhaps times of inaction. I'd be interested to know about that, how often.

cheers Cheeryble