dropped macbook pro 13" - void warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ressac, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ressac macrumors regular

is this voiding a warranty?
    it's not big damage and everything is working like before

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yup! If anything ever happens to your computer and you take it into Apple, they'll blame it on the drop. Apple told me my $3 fan cost $1200 to replace.

3. TRMC13 macrumors member

What you can do is get it checked out by a Genius with the damage. If everything is in working order, they can notate it on your serial number. It certainly isn't a guarantee that Apple won't use the damage as an excuse to not cover your laptop under warranty in the future, but it couldn't hurt, especially if you get a gracious Genius.

4. applematic macrumors newbie

This^ and it wont void it, just if you have problems with anything such as the magsafe port or something else with the power supply or by the looks of it possibly the ethernet port they will absolutely link it back to the damage. If everything else is in a good working condition then those parts that were not affected by the damage will be covered if something should happen in the future.

5. TRMC13 macrumors member

I would caution not to take this as gospel. Regardless of the notes in the Genius system, Apple CAN deny warranty repairs based on the damage. My suggestion was just to help increase the odds in your favor.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Apple could deny warranty to the whole machine, but if you get something wrong with your optical drive or something like that it's very likely they won't try blame it on that. But hey, if you try take it in and get an ******, just go back during a different shift :D

7. ressac thread starter macrumors regular

update

ok i was in ServiceCenter, inside of my screen was some dust, and they replace a screen without any problem.